I Need Some Help With A Stack Of Books

Decorating By stephaniescakenj Updated 13 Oct 2008 , 11:29am by jammjenks

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 1:29pm
post #1 of 4

Hi cake buddies! I have an odd request for a cake. It's from my sisters high school. here it is...

"I was thinking of the stack of books not sure if you are doing 3 or 4 books, let me know what you think. Also could the books be in bright colors, maybe in the elective classes, example, art, wood, foods, astronomy, band, tv media, ectÂ.. Then I was thinking of either cupcakes decorated how ever like spell out good luck Delaware valley staff? Or just with paws on them is perfect also"

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I need to make enough cake for 50 teachers, and word on the street is they like to eat so I'm thinking I'll need a few more servings than that. So for basics, I think I will do a couple 8 inch square cakes, cut them down to a rectangle and use the cake trimmings to make petit fours in place of the cupcakes. I have no clue how to decorate these books though. The school colors are navy blue and gold and the logo is a terrier face and paw. Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated!!!

3 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 7:05pm
post #2 of 4

I have a stack of colorful books in my gallery. They were 9X13 single layers and only bc was used (except for the flowers). Is that what you're looking for?

For the cupcakes, I'd do a paw print on each one. It would take a little time, but would be relatively easy IMO.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1230835

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 12:42pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you so much! I love that picture. I did a search on books and must have missed that one somehow. I wanted to do mine in buttercream too but I was nervous that it wouldn't come out looking as polished as fondant but now I can see it can be done. can you give me a few pointers in doing this? for example to get the edge of the book cover on the bottom, did you just pipe a line? I was thinking of using that flat/straight edge tip but I was afraid the line would be too wide and then I was going to use the basketweave tip for the pages which looks like it worked for you or was that a comb? thanks!!!!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 11:29am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephaniescakenj

can you give me a few pointers in doing this? for example to get the edge of the book cover on the bottom, did you just pipe a line? I was thinking of using that flat/straight edge tip but I was afraid the line would be too wide and then I was going to use the basketweave tip for the pages which looks like it worked for you or was that a comb? thanks!!!!

Yes, for the bottom edge I just piped a line. As for the pages, I used the serrated side of the cake icer tip. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%