First Sps Experience..... And I Have A Question

Decorating By Lori2240 Updated 8 Oct 2008 , 2:41pm by leah_s

Lori2240 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori2240 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 3

I tried the SPS system for the first time this weekend on a 3 tier stacked cake. Fortunately it was for my son's bday and not a paid client. It seemed to work well in the fact that I delivered it fully stacked for 40 miles with no problem. My question is this... I followed Leah's instructions and when it got time to "slide the cake until you hear a whoosh." I needed to ask, how the heck do you slide a fully decorated cake without messing it up? My middle tier was a fully decorated fondanted quilted pattern and by trying to slide it, I ended up with finger indentations all along the sides since they were less like finger prints and more like indentations on the quilted pattern, I really couldnt fix it. I thought to myself, couldnt I have just set the cake over the plate (and the little pointy nub) and the weight of the cake would settle itself over the nub and kept it there? Sorry for the lengthy question. anyone else have this problem?? Thanks!

2 replies
lilyanddayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyanddayne Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 1:41pm
post #2 of 3

I believe you can use a large spatula and slide it on.
I have even heard of using a pizza spatula (wooden thing).
Hopefully you get the right answer I would love to know the proper way also.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 2:41pm
post #3 of 3

Sure, you can just center the tier and drop it, hoping that you get it centered.

I prefer the sliding, but then I keep my hand **under** the cake, never touching the sides. I get the tier close to the right place (far edge of cake close to far edge of plate) and set it down. The sliding is only for a very short distance.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%