Unable To Get Buttercream To Crust!!

Baking By cathyw6560 Updated 8 Oct 2008 , 1:13pm by cathyw6560

cathyw6560 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyw6560 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 1:02pm
post #1 of 3

Hi. Usually I buy my buttercream icing at t local bakery because it crusts excellent, but it gets expensive when doing muliple cakes, wedding cakes etc. I've tried lots of recipes to get the buttercream to crust well but I can't get it. Last night I tried Wilton's recipe (1 cup shortening, 4 cups icing sugar, vanilla and water) and it still didn't crust!! I want to try and avoid using meringue powder because I have had kids that have egg allergies (I assumed I have to stay away from that??). Any ideas? The next recipe I'm going to try from here is the dream whip recipe.

Thanks,
Cathy

2 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 1:06pm
post #2 of 3

Crusting is a ratio of fat to sugar .... more sugar, more crusting. The recipe above looks a little heavy on the fat (more fat, less crusting). 2-lbs of p.sugar is about 7 cups, so this recipe is 2 cups fat to about 2 lbs of sugar. My recipe uses 1-1/3 cups fat to 2 lbs sugar and crusts great. (It also has dream whip in it).

cathyw6560 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyw6560 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 1:13pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks for the information!! I'm totally going to try your recipe!! Maybe I never had the wilton recipe right - did I...oh well. I made a FBCT out of it last night so I hope that holds ok!

Thanks again!
Cathy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%