I Love Brownies, Anyone Else?

Decorating By Karema Updated 27 Oct 2008 , 2:32pm by Karema

Karema Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 6:04am
post #1 of 34

So I know we talk talk cake, cookies, cupcakes and now pies but does anyone else besides me love brownies. I looooove cake like brownies, fudge brownies, brownies coved in chocolate, brownies with nuts, brownies with caramel and even mabled brownies. Ok so you get the idea I love brownies right? Does anyone else out there love this wonderful delightful dessert as much as me? I hope this turnes into a fun thread and I have included a basic recipe but have a few more up my sleeve or in my stomach.

Chunky Brownies

1 1/2 cups of unsalted butter
3 cups granulated sugar
1 tbsp of pure vanilla extract
6 large eggs lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups unbleached, all purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
3/4 tsp salt
12 oz semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans or walnuts, toasted

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 11x18 insulated baking pan

Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Remove the pan from heat then whisk in sugar, vanilla and eggs. blending well.

Whisk in flour cocoa and salt, mixing well. Add chocolate pieces and nuts. Spread into prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes or until tester inserted near the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Cool on wire rack. Cut in to bars. Makes 3 dozen. Do not over cook or they will become dry!

Enjoy
Karema

33 replies
MaloSlatko Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 9:43am
post #2 of 34

Me too me too!! icon_lol.gif Have 4 brownies only books icon_biggrin.gif

This is my most often used recipe:

200g bitter dark chocolate, chopped
200g unsalted butter
4 large eggs
200g superfine sugar
2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
200g plain (all-purpose) flour, sifted
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup of toasted nuts of choice (walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, macadamias) or white chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 160C. Line a 20x25cm rectangular pan with baking paper or buttered foil.

Melt the chocolate, butter and coffee powder stirring until smooth. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.

Beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer until pale an mousse-like. Beat in the cooled chocolate mixture. Then fold in the flour and salt. Lastly fold in the nuts or the white chocolate chips.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes. This will give you a nice fudgy brownies.

These will cut more easily if refridgerated but I do think they do taste better at room temperature.

KKC Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 12:44pm
post #3 of 34

I love brownies, i love more of a fudgy brownie rather than a cake like brownie.

indydebi Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 12:49pm
post #4 of 34

cake, fudgy, I don't care as long as it's chocolate!

The ones we make, we call them "Triple Chocolate PLUS" because there are 4 kinds of chocolate ... cocoa brownies with choc chips in the batter, covered in chocolate ganache, then drizzled in white chocolate.

I don't like powdered sugar on them, though. Hate that!

Karema Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 1:10pm
post #5 of 34

I dont care for the powderd sugar on top either. I just doesnt add the right amount of richness that it deserves. I'm glad someone else out there goes ga ga for brownies. Anyone have anymore tasty recipes?

Pookie59 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 1:38pm
post #6 of 34

Me too! In fact, I tend to collect brownie recipes. I prefer them on the chewy side, with lots of pecans.

I'm always looking for the ultimate brownie, but my favorite (so far) is the one in the Betty Crocker cookbook (I ice them with chocolate buttercream). I do have a recipe for Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies that is pretty awesome (brownies with a cookie dough icing).

Karema Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 9:20pm
post #7 of 34

Anyone else. Please don't let this thread die. Do it for the love of brownies. I usally prefer my brownies with nuts also. If I had a choice of two I would definatly grab the one with walnuts, or pecans. But if I dont have a choice I will eat whatever.

nickshalfpint Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 9:31pm
post #8 of 34

I love brownies, fudgy or cake like, doesn't matter to me icon_biggrin.gif . I make the triple chocolate brownies in "my recipes", but I found a new favorite! This is from dyannbakes.com and it's really good. I don't like powderd sugar on mine either thumbsdown.gif I like mine with whipped chocolate ganache on top icon_biggrin.gif I wish I could eat the whole batch!

http://dyannbakes.com/index.php?post_category=brownie

mcdonald Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 9:32pm
post #9 of 34

I just saw an article in Good Housekeeping that was talking about making your brownie recipe and then instead of baking them in your pan, pour some in your waffle maker !!!! How cool of an idea is that!!! Just think..... brownies cooked like waffles, then a layer of strawberries and covered in whipped cream!!!! YUMMY!!! icon_smile.gif

MaloSlatko Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 9:33pm
post #10 of 34

Do people have a preference for coca-batter vs chocolate-batter brownies?

I personally find the former somewhat lacking however will eat anything in a chocolate emergency of course icon_biggrin.gif

jjkarm Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 9:33pm
post #11 of 34

Love love love brownies!!! I really like the dense fudgy kind. Not really a big fan of cake brownies....if I want cake then I'll eat cake. icon_confused.gif I have 7 or 8 variations of my recipe that we make quite often. I also think brownies need to have some kind of frosting, filling or fabulous topping to really hit the spot. It's a shame when only powdered sugar is sprinkled over the top......they have so much more potential then that! icon_biggrin.gif

nickshalfpint Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 9:36pm
post #12 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonald

I just saw an article in Good Housekeeping that was talking about making your brownie recipe and then instead of baking them in your pan, pour some in your waffle maker !!!! How cool of an idea is that!!! Just think..... brownies cooked like waffles, then a layer of strawberries and covered in whipped cream!!!! YUMMY!!! icon_smile.gif

WOW icon_eek.gif that's a breakfast of champions right there thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

debster Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 9:37pm
post #13 of 34

I agree I'm a chewy brownie fan with nuts, I use boxed mixes because I can't find a homemade on that isn't dry. I'm going to try some that gets generated from this thread. Hope one works well for me. I LOVE BROWNIES!!!! thumbs_up.gif Thanks for this thread.

cutthecake Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 9:41pm
post #14 of 34

Box mix brownies, anyone? The Duncan Hines box used to have a recipe variation with cream cheese swirls and a gooey chocolate frosting. Boy, was that good! I'll have to look for the recipe.

nickshalfpint Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 9:51pm
post #15 of 34

I bought the hershey ones from sam's and they have the mini kisses and chocolate chunks in them. I put a pumpkin spice kiss in the middle and it was GOOD! I read on here that someone froze the kiss first so that's what I did, I don't know if it makes a diffenece, but it was good!

kansaswolf Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 9:56pm
post #16 of 34

I top mine with the fudge recipe off the Hershey's cocoa box... Mmmmm...

My mouth is watering now... Too bad I'm on a diet... icon_biggrin.gif

quilting2011 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 10:10pm
post #17 of 34

I lost 200 pounds and now weigh 110 pounds - it took me 3 years. One of my weight watchers friend gave this great recipe. If you have the urge to eat something sweet, but watching calories try this recipe. It is from the Hungry Girl Website. Enjoy. I love brownies, sweets,cakes but I only eat one tiny bite with coffee or tea because I don't want to weigh 200 pounds ever again

Yum Yum Brownie Muffins

(1 Muffin, or 3 minis - 181 calories, 3.5g fat, 37g carbs, 2g, fiber, 2g protein - 4 WW points)

This super-simple 2-ingredient recipe is a Weight Watchers Fave!

1 box devilâs food cake mix
1 can solid pack pumpkin (15 oz.)

Directions:
Mix the two ingredients together. Don't add anything else that may be mentioned on the box, such as eggs, oil, or water. The mixture will be very thick and you will be tempted to add in other things to make the batter smoother. DO NOT DO THIS AS IT WILL RUIN EVERYTHING! Place batter into muffin tins (or mini muffin tins) lined with paper, or sprayed with non-stick spray. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Makes 12 regular or 36 mini muffins.

nickshalfpint Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 1:35am
post #18 of 34

bundtdiva..... I love that recipe. The one I use has chocolate chips too. Hungry girl is an awesome web site. Congratulations on your weight loss thumbs_up.gif

ceshell Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 5:23am
post #19 of 34

My favorite brownies used to be plain and simple: DH "Chocolate Lover's" brownie, the kind with the package of unsweetened chocolate sauce that you stir into the batter. I loved to underbake them to get those chewy, gooey brownies you could roll around into a ball if you were in a play-with-your-food kind of a mood.

But now I have been won over by this amazing, "grown-up" rapsberry truffle brownie (scratch recipe) I found on Epicurious. OMG it is soooo good. Not chewy-gooey mind you, but who cares. This is the kind of brownie you pay $4.50 for at a specialty bakery. Try it, I dare you! http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/RASPBERRY-TRUFFLE-BROWNIES-5435

Love,
The Chocoholic

oh p.s. I never have Chambord on hand, I can't remember if I just skipped it or used a bit of vanilla in its place. The point is, they don't require the berry liqueur.

Karema Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 11:27pm
post #20 of 34

Those raspberry brownies sound divine. I'm in NYC visiting this week and they have so many bakeries. I'm on a quest to find the one with the best brownies so my mom can then send me some when I leave. Keep those recipes coming.

Karema

ceshell Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 3:57am
post #21 of 34

Seriously, you'll never buy another fancypants bakery brownie again once you make those. I am sure they would be even more over-the-top if you topped em with a layer of ganache. (I don't use the powdered sugar anyway).

*drools*

chefjulie Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 4:30am
post #22 of 34

Oh, I LOOOOOOVVVVVVVEEEEEEEE brownies <3 Fudgy, for sure! On the CCCC thread, we had a brownie cupcake and in the discussion, Melvira introduced me to the "edge pan" http://www.bakersedge.com/details.html
I HAD to order it (hubby said so!) right away and let me tell ya, its AWESOME!!!!! Every brownie is an "edge" brownie icon_smile.gif Seriously, an awesome find!!!

Pookie59 Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 10:01pm
post #23 of 34

Oh, I love raspberries. I'm going to try those!

MaloSlatko Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 11:10am
post #24 of 34

Haven't tried these as they are from the newest addition to my cookbook collection but with a name like this, I had to share:

Prescription-Strength Fudge Brownies

170g unsalted butter, chopped
65g unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted if lumpy
340g granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
100g all-purpose flour
1/2 cup topping (choose from chocolate or peanut butter chips, walnuts, pecans, chopped hard peppermint candies), optional

Preheat oven to 180C. Line a 20cm square pan with baking paper or buttered foil.

Melt the butter, then whisk in the cocoa powder until smooth. Add the salt and sugar and whisk until blended. Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking after each addition until just blended. Whisk in the vanilla with the second egg. Add the flour and stir with a spatula or spoon until just blended.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Scatter the topping evenly over the batter, if using. Bake for about 30 minutes.

Hope they live up to their name.

MichelleM77 Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 7:25pm
post #25 of 34

I have a delish cakey brownie recipe, but I definitely want to try a fudgey brownie because I think that's what everyone thinks of. No complaints yet, but.....I need a good reason to try another recipe. icon_smile.gif

So who loves blondies?!?! I love them even more than brownies. Not too much of a chocolate anymore.

Karema Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 4:22pm
post #26 of 34

Ok Michelle you just mentioned a cakey brownie? MY FAV... I cant find one I love or that has the right balance. So your going to share right? I like Blondies also. I went to this bakery once and they had that had this brownie that was also like a blondie. I wanted that recipe so bad. It was like swirled together and had walnuts in it. It seemed to have like a bottom crust. I asked if they would share and they said it was a coorperate recipe and only the baker knew it. I was so sad icon_cry.gif

Karema Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 4:23pm
post #27 of 34

duplicate

Karema Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 4:25pm
post #28 of 34

Ok Michelle you just mentioned a cakey brownie? MY FAV... I cant find one I love or that has the right balance. So you're going to share right? I like Blondies also. I went to this bakery once and they had this brownie that was also like a blondie. I wanted that recipe so bad. It was like swirled together and had walnuts in it. It seemed to have like a bottom crust. I asked if they would share and they said it was a coorperate recipe and only the baker knew it. I was so sad icon_cry.gif

Karema Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 4:26pm
post #29 of 34

duplicate

Karema Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 4:25pm
post #30 of 34

Ok Michelle you just mentioned a cakey brownie? MY FAV... I cant find one I love or that has the right balance. So you're going to share right? I like Blondies also. I went to this bakery once and they had this brownie that was also like a blondie. I wanted that recipe so bad. It was like swirled together and had walnuts in it. It seemed to have like a bottom crust. I asked if they would share and they said it was a coorperate recipe and only the baker knew it. I was so sad icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%