Panic Over A Raspberry Filling...

Decorating By saj_stuff Updated 8 Oct 2008 , 4:52pm by JSuzieQ

saj_stuff Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 3:59am
post #1 of 7 I"m afraid I'm me please if you can.

I was asked LAST minute to do a cake with a "homemade raspberry" filling. CC was slow and the Wilton site popped up a recipe quickly. So that's wat I used. Anyways, today I made the Wilton filling, baked my cakes, made a stiff buttercream for a dam and assembled my cakes as such. I had planned on letting it settle overnight (I have a bulging problem!) and decorate tomorrow for a pickup on Thursday. Will I have a SOGGY cake? That filling seemed pretty thin and now I'm freaking out. I really don't have time to bake more if it'll be a problem..but I'll CERTAINLY pull them apart tonight and do them later if I need to. What do y'all think?

6 replies
JoAnnB Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 4:07am
post #2 of 7

It should not make the cake soggy, although it might soak into the surface of the cake. If it was thick enough to spread, it should be ok.

However, if it leaks out of the dam, or bulges, you may need to clean and smooth the seams and put on a good crumb coat.

BlakesCakes Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 4:27am
post #3 of 7

I've never made a raspberry filling. I always use seedless raspberry preserves.

But, I worry about the preserves soaking into the cake, too, so I put a crumb coat of buttercream under the preserves (and on the underside of the layer that will cover the filling, too--maybe overkill, I don't know). I also make sure that the dam is stiff and high. Knock on wood, so far, so good--and I get requests for this filling all the time.

saj_stuff Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 4:38am
post #4 of 7

I appreciate the tips. I WISH I had thought to put a light coat of BC down when I saw how thin it was...but I was lost! I've really never done it before with homemade requested....I usually use preserves too, but they were specific with this. I HOPE it goes okay. Guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Thanks y'all...I'll sleep a little bit better tonight. icon_smile.gif

HerBoudoir Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 2:21pm
post #5 of 7

(Are they really going to be able to tell the difference between a homemade raspberry filling and good-quality store bought jam?)

PinkZiab Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 2:29pm
post #6 of 7
Originally Posted by HerBoudoir

(Are they really going to be able to tell the difference between a homemade raspberry filling and good-quality store bought jam?)

Not really the point... if the customer wants fresh filling they should get a fresh filling--especially if she agreed to it. Otherwise it would be misrepresentation of her product. And I don't know about anyone else, but my fruit fillings definitely have a different texture/consistency than jelly/jam.

JSuzieQ Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 4:52pm
post #7 of 7

I actually made a WASC cake yesterday with a mixed berry filling that I made. I crumb coated both layers and after they firmed up for a while in the freezer, I put on the cooled filling. The thing I forgot was the icing dam... and as I am sure you can imagine, the filling started running. By the time I got the frosting piped in, the buttercream frosting was swirled pink. I ended up putting MMF on it and then decorating it. It was actually my first cake to cover with fondant and it turned out pretty good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%