Cake Tasting Party????

Decorating By cakeandpartygirl Updated 8 Oct 2008 , 5:50pm by LeanneW

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 3:19am
post #1 of 6

I have been a box cake maker girl for a long time. I desire to try some new recipes from scratch, some of which I have found here. I am not trying to create a nasty debate as I have seen in other threads icon_cry.giftapedshut.gif I just want to try something new. In any case, I wanted to know if it would be best to try different recipes of the same flavor or different flavors. This would be serving about 20 women. Also ideas on presentation would be helpful. I hope that I have given enough information. TIA!!

5 replies
KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 12:53pm
post #2 of 6

I think different flavors would be fun but it maybe time consuming. Or maybe do like your most requested cakes (like maybe White, Chocolate & Coconut) make 3 of each with 3 different coordinating fillings. For instance my most requested cake is WASC...i would make 3 individual WASC with 3 different fillings...one with pineapple filling, one with lemon curd and the other with raspberry filling...does that make sense???

FOR PRESENTATION....
What about doing little individual cakes designed differently. Put some out for tasting and the remaining cakes package them in little decorative packaging to send home with your guest. I've always wanted to do a cake tasting party and thats how i envisioned doing my cakes.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 1:03pm
post #3 of 6

If I wanted to compare different recipes, I'd make all the same flavor so I could see if the white mix was better than the doctored mix or better than the scratch mix. Anytime a test is done, the variables are limited. If there are two many variables, you're not sure what's making the difference.

If you're just looking to test cake flavos to determine which ones you wan to add to your selection list, then lots of flavors of course! thumbs_up.gif

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 5:35pm
post #4 of 6

I did this with red velvet once I mad one from scratch and one with a box both had the same frosting ( the one with flour in it)

funny results they tasted the same just the texture was different
Those that grew up eating red velvet voted for the denser scratch cake

and those who did not preferred the box mix.

I would number the cakes and have them taste each one critique each one and pick a winner.. make sure you leave a space for comments.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 5:35pm
post #5 of 6

Well, an 8" square will give you 32 1"x2" pieces, so you could make several different half recipes. Just frost the top, with a nutmeat, or a drizzle or design in a color to represent each flavor. As you're trying cake recipes, not frosting/filling recipes, you don't need to make 2 layers.
How much cake do you want each person to eat?

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 5:50pm
post #6 of 6

I did a cake tasting party with my friends last year. I did mini cupcakes with a a swirl of frosting piped with a start tip.

I didn't do fillings.

The mini cupcake was a great size so you could try each flavor and not feel like you just ate an entire cake by the end of the night.

I think I had 6 different flavors and I also served coffee (reg & decaf) and ice cold milk.

I put each flavor on a nice cake pedistal with a piece of paper folded over and the type of cake written on it.

I put a round 36" table in the center of my living room with a table cloth and put a dummy cake in the center with the plates of cupcakes arranged around it.

in my dining room I made a refreshment station with the beverages and cups/plates/napkins.

It will be helpful if you have bowls or paper bags set up for people to throw away the cupcake wrappers.

It was a hit!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%