Help With Gum Paste /fondant Figures Cracking

Decorating By Molly2 Updated 16 Oct 2008 , 8:38pm by pmaucher

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 2:34am
post #1 of 14

I like making the gum paste fondant figures but every time I make them the seem to crack as they dry what am I doing wrong? I usually make 50/50 gum paste/fondant I add more shorting but the still crack. Can anyone please tell me what Iâm doing wrong.
Thank You for your help

Molly

13 replies
Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 2:59am
post #2 of 14

It kind of sounds like you might be working too slowly, leaving your paste uncovered when not in use, and/or not getting the parts smooth before putting them together.

Instead of adding more shortening try adding a tiny amount of your gum glue to your paste to male it more pliable.

HTH

Michele

Molly2 Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 1:31am
post #3 of 14

So I should add gum paste glue to my gum paste before shaping it into a figure?

Molly

Sugarflowers Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 11:15pm
post #4 of 14

Do this only if you think your paste is too dry. It will make it a lot more pliable.

Work quickly with fresh paste, fresh gum glue, and a clean work surface. Sometime bacteria on a work surface can cause cracking. This happens because as the bacteria grow they produce gasses that will put forces on the paste from the inside.

HTH

Michele

Molly2 Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 4:03am
post #5 of 14

I always make sure my work area is very clean I sanitize my space before I work with any type of food so I don't think thatâs the problem I did add some gum paste glue to my dough it seemed to help

Molly

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 11:21am
post #6 of 14

When I use straight gum paste and it's too dry I add a tiny touch oe egg white. Seems to do the job.

kcjc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcjc Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 11:51am
post #7 of 14

molly2 thanks for asking this questions. i too make sure I have a very clean area. I purchased a hard surface cuttung mat for dress making tha i only use for fondant/gumpaste(love it,use a coupon from ac moore etc and purchase at Joannes) that I wash in my dishwasher. i sometimes get a seperation in my fondant.not like an uneven crack but a smooth seperation.Does that sound like it's from the gases. This happens with previuosly made fondant that I've added additional crisco from my hands etc to make it more pliable.Am I using fondant that has bacteria? I seal it by wrapping securley in seran then in freezer bags that I smoosh the air out of. Help. I am now concerned I'm doing something improper.Karen

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 6:48pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarflowers

Work quickly with fresh paste, fresh gum glue, and a clean work surface. Sometime bacteria on a work surface can cause cracking. This happens because as the bacteria grow they produce gasses that will put forces on the paste from the inside.

Wow thanks, I've never heard about the bacteria forming gasses before! I have two different gum paste recipes I use depending on what I'm making. I've noticed that the recipe made with egg whites seems to crack more easily than the recipe that does not contain egg whites. Will bacteria form more easily because of the egg, or does that make any difference?

Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 8:43pm
post #9 of 14

Very good info! I never knew any of this! Thanks for asking the question!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 9:02pm
post #10 of 14

I never use gumpaste in my figures because of cracking-I use all fondant, and it works great.

Never knew that about the bacteria. Eeewwwwwww.

Molly2 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 10:53am
post #11 of 14

summernoelle

I always thought you had to have gum paste mixed with fondant in order to make figures. Do your figures stay to gather pretty will? do you still use the gum paste glue I have been brushing my figures with the gum paste glue and I have not had any problem with figures cracking since I started that but if it works with out it I'm going to try it.

Thank You
Molly

deena1987 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deena1987 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 11:39am
post #12 of 14

This may sound dumb but what is gum paste glue? Is it watered down gum paste or is a product you can buy?

Sugarflowers Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 8:21pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by deena1987

This may sound dumb but what is gum paste glue? Is it watered down gum paste or is a product you can buy?

The gumpaste glue I use is Tylose and water. I use about 2 Tbsp. water and about 1/8 tsp. Tylose. Allow this to absorb the water and then mix. It makes a very good glue that adheres quickly.

You can also make gum glue with gumpaste and water. How much water to gumpaste ratio depends on how thin/thick you want your glue to be. If you make it too thick, it will be very difficult to use and can be too bulky.

HTH

Michele

pmaucher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmaucher Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 8:38pm
post #14 of 14

I used to have this problem. Fortunately I found out about Marzipan. I use that for all my figures now. It has not cracked on me, easier to color on and tastes alot better. I make my own marzipan out of almond paste, Powd sugar and light corn syrup. The monsters in my NBC cake are made from marzipan.
Good luck
Pam

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%