Fillling A Cake - Question

Decorating By sjbeatty8 Updated 9 Oct 2008 , 12:26am by sjbeatty8

sjbeatty8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjbeatty8 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 1:44am
post #1 of 5

I am making a wedding cake that will be covered in fondant... the filling is a freezer jam filling that per the package needs to be refridgerated... If I fill the cake and cover it I cant refridgerate it.. so how long can I leave it out with out being kept cold????

Sugguestions?

TIA

4 replies
MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 4:51am
post #2 of 5

I refrigerate every one of my cakes (all fondant). I take them out of the fridge 4 hrs prior to delivery. On rainy days they may not be completely dry, but a quick once over with a hair dryer does the trick.

Most sugary items that say they require refigeration can be left out 12 hrs. There's no dairy in them, after all. I think with freezer jam it's probably more of a consistency thing, as it will get very thin as it warms.

Why was freezer jam chosen, if you don't mind my asking?

sjbeatty8 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 1:52pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks Macsmom... I unfortunatly dont have the fridge space either ... so I may just have to wait and do it all day of.. im so paranoid.

The freezer jam was choosen because of the flavor.. they wanted a specific kind and this was where it was found.. its a great product.. I guess I didnt think about the refridgeration issue with they choose it. The worst part is im taking a sanitation and safty course right now so im OVERLY paranoid about everything.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 11:04pm
post #4 of 5

My personal feeling is your fzr jam as filling will be just fine for a couple of days. Find a cool, dry place to store it. Do you have an unheated room? An enclosed porch or such? A basement where it would be safe?

sjbeatty8 Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 12:26am
post #5 of 5

Thanks Kakeladi... That was my initial thought.... I had planned on storing in my basement where its usually pretty cool and its been colder here lately so im sure it will be even colder down there..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%