Experts... Using Gel Colors To Color White Candy Melts...

Decorating By cocobean Updated 8 Oct 2008 , 1:06am by rezzygirl

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 12:04am
post #1 of 7

I saw a product that you can add to gel colors when you are coloring white candy melts. (So it won't seize the chocolate). Anyone know what it is made of? Have you used it? I KNOW YOU CAN USE OIL BASED CANDY COLORING, but I don't have the colors I need. Is there something I might have on hand that I could add to the gel colors so it won't seize the chocolate??? Maybe mix the gel color with a couple drops of oil? icon_confused.gif Need experts advice.

6 replies
PJ37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ37 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 12:14am
post #2 of 7

I have used a couple drops of oil but I like just a little bit of Crisco "in a pinch". I used it in the blue of the following link.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1272364.html

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 12:17am
post #3 of 7

I mix my gel colors in a little crisco and then add it to the candy melts when I melt them. I have not had any problems with doing it this way. I hope this will help you.

Jaime

Bossy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 12:43am
post #4 of 7

There's a product called "Paramount Crystals" that can be added to chocolate with the colors to keep it from seizing. I believe it's made from palm oil.

flowers40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowers40 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 12:48am
post #5 of 7

Wilton makes a color product specifically to color your candy melts. I used it once, didn't really have the problem with seizing, but didn't really get the desired color either. The colors for candy is right by the candy melt and looks like a smaller version of gel colors.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 1:02am
post #6 of 7

you can use crisco to with coloring for chocolate??? that would be cool!!! How much do you use??

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 1:06am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobean

I saw a product that you can add to gel colors when you are coloring white candy melts. (So it won't seize the chocolate). Anyone know what it is made of? Have you used it?

Americolor makes that product. It's called Flocoat and you add a few drops of it to the chocolate along with your gel colors:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160215247269&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

You can use it with any gel colors and it works very nicely thumbs_up.gif .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%