Need Help With This Cake...what Do You Think It Is?

Decorating By apetricek Updated 8 Oct 2008 , 7:53pm by iluvjay829

apetricek Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 11:23pm
post #1 of 14

Hi guys! I have a customer that just ordered this cake below for this coming weekend. I am not sure what it is decorated/covered with. Buttercream? fondant? Wow this is a lot of detail work...yikes! icon_cry.gif Any and all help I would LOVE thanks in advance!
LL

13 replies
apetricek Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 11:26pm
post #2 of 14

let me try and add attachment again...didn't seem to work
LL

keyshia Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 11:28pm
post #3 of 14

Wow...that's tough. I had to do a gator's cake for my husband's commander...but I just used FBCT to do it. This almost looks like fondant to me...maybe MMF? It looks a little too smooth to be BC...but maybe someone else can tell for sure. icon_smile.gif Good luck either way!

keyshia Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 11:29pm
post #4 of 14

Wow...that's tough. I had to do a gator's cake for my husband's commander...but I just used FBCT to do it. This almost looks like fondant to me...maybe MMF? It looks a little too smooth to be BC...but maybe someone else can tell for sure. icon_smile.gif Good luck either way!

ladybug23 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 11:44pm
post #5 of 14

Looks like Wilton Color Flow. icon_smile.gif

calynmom Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 11:45pm
post #6 of 14

I would say color flow also.

Bossy Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 11:47pm
post #7 of 14

Looks like it could be chocolate clay/fondant. If you look closely you can see layers of color. Jennifer Dontz has a great recipe for chocolate Fondant on her DVD and the price is easy on the pockect book as well.

kakeladi Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 12:03am
post #8 of 14

I think it's colorflow. OR marshmallow flow even thinned b'cream but most likely colorflow.

tracey1970 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 12:08am
post #9 of 14

I would go with color flow too. It's shiny like that, it's fairly thin like color flow pieces are, and it's obviously hardened enough to hang over the edge of the cake without bending.

apetricek Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 1:31am
post #10 of 14

ok can someone help me as to what to do with colorflow...I have never worked with it, and how does it taste? I am planning to do it in layers of fondant, as it seems now...but colorflow also came to my mind when I saw the picture...anyone know a tutorial on how to use it, and even a recipe for it? THanks guys knew someone would be able to help!

xstitcher Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 5:47am
post #11 of 14

Here's a link from Wilton's website for color flow icing:

http://www.wilton.com/idea/Color-Flow

7yyrt Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 4:42pm
post #12 of 14

The problem will come when they try to cut the cake. Colorflow dries hard. If you use it, wouldn't it need to be removed first?

apetricek Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 7:25pm
post #13 of 14

thanks xstitcher for the link...I did go to Michaels today and got the clow flow. I think I may try it tonight, and see how it turns out. I have never worked with it, so I am nervous about it. I don't have to decorate the cake till Friday night, so I think it should be dry. My only concern is that I am doing the rest of the cake in fondant, so I don't know if I can put the color flow piece on to fondant. I will have to have them remove it, seems like a lot of work, that's why I thought just fondant, outline in buttercream and then do the teeth in buttercream, as well as the eye to give it some more dimension.....have to think on this one...

iluvjay829 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 7:53pm
post #14 of 14

I would say it looks like fondant in layers. Cover whole cake in orange, then the blue piece, then the green alligator face, then add white teeth, etc...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%