What Do You Use As A Dam When Frosting/filling With Smbc?

Decorating By ERdocmom Updated 10 Oct 2008 , 5:03pm by ERdocmom

ERdocmom Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 10:42pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone! I am hooked on SMBC, but just watched sugarshack's DVD on buttercream and the importance of a very stiff dam. On a recent cake I used all SMBC covered in MMF......had a problem with bulging. Do you use a different stiff frosting to make your dam? On another note, are you able to apply many of her techniques with SMBC to get a smooth finish? I'm assuming not, since it is non-crusting. Any advice would be much appreciated!!!!!

6 replies
PinkZiab Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 12:42am
post #2 of 7

I only use swiss and italian meringue buttercreams, and when a dam is needed I just use the same. To avoid bulging, be sure your dam is piped in a little from the edge of the cake, and don't over-fill. I've never seen her dvds so I don't know her techniques, but the best tool for smoothing a meringue buttercream is a warm bench scraper. I also usually refrigerate the cake overnight (or several hours at least) and then use a warm mini offset to fine-tune the smoothing.

mixinvixen Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 2:14am
post #3 of 7

i always have bulges...my cakes do too.

i'm interested in this answer also...<<<leaning in to eavesdrop>>>

sarahpierce Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 11:35am
post #4 of 7

I use SMBC for the dam. I place it in the fridge to harden, then fill. I also make sure it's hard when I put the fondant on.

BakingJeannie Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 12:52pm
post #5 of 7

Years ago I used only the Wilton, then found the Martha Stewart SMBC recipe and just loved it! I now use the Toba Garrett decorators buttercream for children's cake.

Toba Garrett has in her book something she call "spackle" and it is the best form of crumb coat to prevent the bulging and make the cake stands up under the fondant. It is similar to making cake balls. I don't have the book with me know, but I mix the extra cake with some of the SMBC or another buttercream and a little liquid (simply syrup, or somethng to make a paste). I cover the cake first with this "spackle" (put in cooler).Then a very light crumb coat (put in cooler); then the icing. PM me and I will share the recipe with you.

chutzpah Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 4:56pm
post #6 of 7

I am a strict SMBC user, but I don't like using it for the dam.

We use what we call 'white trash frosting' (and yes, we really do call it that....). Butter, PS, vanilla and sour cream or milk - whatever we have in the fridge. We mix it up so that it is very stiff and us that ONLY for a dam.

ERdocmom Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 5:03pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you for the input! I will try out these tips on my next cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%