Fondant And Cake Dummies

Decorating By tbcakes Updated 8 Oct 2008 , 12:34am by tbcakes

tbcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbcakes Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 8:39pm
post #1 of 4

Please help! I am doing my first cake dummies for a display cake at a baby shower. I will be covering the dummies in fondant, decorating with stripes and polka dots, and stacking as gifts. I am wondering if I should complete each package separately or if I could cover the "packages" with fondant and add stripes and polka dots later - maybe a few days later. I would appreciate any advice and tips!! Thanks!! icon_smile.gif

3 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 9:11pm
post #2 of 4

Hi,you can cover and decorate each dummy seperatley and then stack them up. Or you can decorate them near to the date as well.

HTH.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 9:25pm
post #3 of 4

As the other poster said, you can do it in steps or all at once. There is no problem adding the decorations days after covering the dummy.
Fondant sticks wet to wet (fresh fondant) OR dry to wet but not dry to dry.
Your covered pkgs will actually be dry but the decorations (unless you make them ahead) will be wet so there should not be a problem. You will need to very lightly wet the back of the stripes & dots.
If both are dry then you need to put wet (fresh) fondant between them, slightly wet on each side. Depending on the size of the dots it could be a piece as small as a pinheadicon_smile.gif

tbcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbcakes Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 12:34am
post #4 of 4

Thank so much! I really appreciate the advice. I was pretty certain I could do it in stages. I wanted to get some advice from the best so I thought I would try here!! This is a huge project for a friend's babyshower. We have been friends since Kindergarten - we are 39 now - she is pregnant for the first time after trying for more than 10 years!! This is a big deal for me! - and for her! Thanks again for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%