Whipped Ganache Help

Baking By Zeunasc Updated 8 Oct 2008 , 3:05pm by 7yyrt

Zeunasc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zeunasc Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 8:14pm
post #1 of 15

My last attempt at a whipped ganache was terrible. It came out super stiff, and tasted like a big chocolate chip. I didn't see anything like was described... it wasn't pillowy, spreadable, etc.

So, I know it's equal parts chocolate to heavy cream. I believe I will use milk chocolate, rather than semi-sweet this time... or a mix. Anyway, once I combine the heated cream to the chocolate, let it melt and stir, what do I do to turn it into whipped ganache? Yes, I understand that there will be whipping involved icon_smile.gif But, do I refrigerate first? If so, for how long? Do you just let it sit out until it gets luke warm and whip?

Oh, my end game will be a filling for a 2 layer yellow cake!

TIA!
Z

14 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 10:02pm
post #2 of 15

I have gotten the best results by whipping in stages. I also use a hand whisk for more control

I chill the ganache about 10 minutes, take it out whisk a few times, and then re-chill for another 5-10 min. or so.

Each time, the mixture will get more airy and thick. don't overdo it. If you over whip it, it will break. If this happens, all is not lost, but you have to very gently re-melt it and start over. That happened to me a couple of times when I was using a mixer. Once I started using a whisk, I had much more control.

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 10:20pm
post #3 of 15

Perfect timing for this thread! Thanks OP!

JoAnnB, how many times do you whip and chill?
Also, is this the kind that you can pipe, for like a 1M swirl on cupcakes??? Thanks!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 10:21pm
post #4 of 15

JoanneB is correct.... you need to chill it...... I use a mixer, but BE CAREFUL........ just a little bit to long, and like you say, you have a big chocolate chip icon_lol.gif There is NOTHING like that flavor though... I'm making one this weekend, and she has never had whipped ganache.... I can't wait for her to try it !

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 10:32pm
post #5 of 15

Hey...I just made whipped ganache this past weekend! Once I combine the cream and chocolate and mix it well, I put it in the refrigerator for a couple hours until completely chilled. Then I mix it on high speed for several minutes (this takes a good while) until it gets "fluffy". It's a lengthy procedure and the mixing takes a good while before it fluffs but it tasted really good! Good luck!

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 10:38pm
post #6 of 15

Does this have to be refrigerated after whipping? I have a cake next week calling for chocolate mousse, and I think whipped ganache is ALMOST the same, but they want fondant on the cake and I dont' want to have to refrigerate it.

Does anyone know if I will have to refrigerate it if it's just used as a filling and not an icing? I think (hope) it won't spoil after it's locked in with buttercream and fondant.

nefgaby Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 10:47pm
post #7 of 15

Sooo, can it be piped? Tip 1M? Thanks for all the info!

grama_j Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 11:11pm
post #8 of 15

I don't know why you couldn't pipe it .... it should work well........ and NO, you don't have to refrigerate it........Something about the enzymes protecting the mixture.... I've looked it up, and tried to post it here, but for some reason ,it won't let me......

nefgaby Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 11:21pm
post #9 of 15

Thanks Grama_J! icon_smile.gif

Zeunasc Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 1:30am
post #10 of 15

Thank you all so much for the help.

I think I am going to go with JoAnnB's technique.

liapsim - this is basically what I did the first time, and the ganache was so stiff after I chilled it for a few hours, my KA couldn't do anything with it. I had to nuke it a few times to heat it up, and then it just wasn't good.

Any more tips out there? How about on types or combinations of chocolate? I know that is mostly to taste, but I know there has to be some favorites out there. The cake I am going to make is going to be a WASC version of a DH Dark Chocolate Fudge mix.

grama_j Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 11:08am
post #11 of 15

This address isn't going to work if you try to copy and paste it..... I think someone said because it is a "pay" site... I'm not a member, so I can bring it up, but not pass it along.... type it in by hand.... it is worth the pain in the neck to do it......

http://www.baking911.com/chocolate/ganache_truffles.htm

Okay.... that didn't work AGAIN...... so just put in Baking911 and it SHOULD take you to the site, and then look up chocolate ganache..... I PROMISE, it is work it.....

grama_j Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 11:14am
post #12 of 15

OMG!! It even erased the NAME !!! I googled in chocolate ganache and the site came up...... I kept it in my favorites...... it is Baking............ 911........ but all together on one line...........see if it works........ icon_lol.gif

grama_j Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 11:20am
post #13 of 15

Let's see if this will copy... it is instructions for whipping ganache...
After mixing and before whipping or piping, the ganache needs to cool and thicken. You want it to because it will whip faster and have a better texture for piping.
This is done by setting it aside for an hour at a cool, room temperature or until thick enough to be malleable like clay. Before you do, cover with a piece of plastic wrap pressed on the top of the ganache so a film does not form.

For quick cooling, place bowl in a larger bowl containing ice and stir constantly until cool to the touch. Don't let it get too cold because you shouldn't whip it if it does. To warm, in a warm place in the kitchen to soften -- do not reheat.

PIPED: Make sure ganache thick enough to hold a shape. It is ready to be piped.

WHIPPED: Place lukewarm ganache in a mixing bowl and whip it vigorously by hand or with an electric mixer on medium-high. Do this until mixture has cooled, lightened in color and is fluffy. Do not overwhip, otherwise it will become grainy.

FILLING AND FROSTING: For frosting with a smooth velvety texture, butter is often added. It has to be soft enough to cream with the other ingredients, otherwise it won't whip. Butter that is too soft or melted will result in a frosting that doesn't have a creamy texture. To prepare it for mixing, let butter stand at room temperature until softened but still cool. Add the butter in chunks until combined after the melted chocolate and cream have formed an emulsion.

Zeunasc Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 12:20pm
post #14 of 15

Grama_j - you make me laugh!

Thank you for the post... that makes it very clear, and explains what I did wrong in the first place!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 3:05pm
post #15 of 15

grama_j, I think that is one of the sites that caused a ruckus a while ago, so they blocked it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%