Your Thoughts On This Birthday Cake, Pls? Copyright Issue?

Business By Swede-cakes Updated 8 Oct 2008 , 1:25pm by Swede-cakes

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 7

I got a request from someone who'd like me to make this cake for a 1st birthday. It's obvious that it has THE ears on top, so I'm thinking that unfortunately it will fall under that infringement no-no area. If I steer her away from the ears, and purchase a mickey candle or figurine for the top instead, does that make it ok?

Also, does this look like it's primary colored fondant over white fondant? After the extra time I had to take to form Lego brick connectors in BC this past weekend, I really want to correctly assess my labor time on a cake like this.

Thanks for your thoughts!
LL

6 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 7

buying a decoration to add is perfectly legal. And it does look like fondant over fondant. However, a careful application could be fondant over buttercream.

Swede-cakes Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 10:10pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks, JoAnnB, for your advice. So possibly I could find the Ears to purchase and do it that way (depending on how big the top layer is).

shannon100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon100 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 12:30pm
post #4 of 7

It looks like you'd have to figure out something else for the yellow layer too, because isn't the MM silhouette copyrighted too? (You may have already noticed that, but no one said anything yet, so I thought I'd bring it up.)

it's a really cute cake! Looks like it will be fun to do, even with the changes.

Swede-cakes Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 12:37pm
post #5 of 7

Shannon, I noticed the ears on the yellow layer too. Thanks! icon_smile.gif I figure I'll just do stars on the red, dots on the yellow and swirls on the blue.

I'm giving the customer a price this morning, and I'll give her two choices; fondant over BC and all fondant. She only wants 30 servings (my min. for stacked/tiered cakes) so it'll be an 8" and 6" whatever she chooses.

What would you guys charge for the all fondant version of this cake for a 2-tier?
Just curious, as I've never priced out working with all fondant (only accents).

Thanks!

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 1:17pm
post #6 of 7

This may be a weird question but how how you doing three colors but only two layers? Maybe I missed something.

Swede-cakes Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 1:25pm
post #7 of 7

Hi, sorry, my brain is ahead of my fingers! icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif

I offer a complimentary Baby Cake for 1st Birthday orders, and the woman may want that on top as a third layer. So I'm only charging her for a 2 tier for 30, but design wise it may end up as a 3-tier.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%