White Chocolate Tiara Shattered - Day Of Competition

Decorating By sayhellojana Updated 8 Oct 2008 , 2:48am by BlakesCakes

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 5

I'm dropping off my cakes for the state fair today. Originally, I was going to do four. I made the mistake of using pastry pride on top of my dummy cakes for one entry, and the fondant just did not hold up - ruined. Ok, no worries. Three more cakes to be perfect, right?
No.
My entry for decorating - birthday cake, was a princess themed cake. It's a chocolate cake with raspberry filling, purple MMF, and a white chocolate tiara. I piped the tiara yesturday, no easy thing. I wanted to make it out of royal icing but the rules say no uncooked egg products, so I thought white chocolate was a fair substitute. I spent at least four hours on this tiara. I went to touch up a spot on the fondant, and my clumsy self pushed it off the cake. It fell on the floor and shattered, completely irrepairable.
I only have a few hours before I need to drop this cake off. I suppose I could just not enter it and have a tasty cake for myself, but I would like to avoid that. How can I get white chocolate to set up quickly? I dont want to put it in the freezer because it will melt as soon as I remove it, right?
You cake ladies know much better than I do. what can I do, I need something atop this cake. Help me out icon_smile.gif

4 replies
sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 7:14pm
post #2 of 5

I tried to make a new one. I simplified the pattern and mixed a little bit of PS with the white chocolate hoping this would help stabilize it. Nada. It broke right away.
What can I top this cake with?

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 5

The white choc should set almost immediately. If you put it in the freezer or fridge it will speed it up even more and it will not melt when it comes out.

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 2:20am
post #4 of 5

can you chill whatever you are using to pipe it on to? for example, are you piping on a cookie sheet or a metal form of some sort? Maybe you can chill that in the freezer for a little bit and then pipe out the chocolate. it should harden up right away.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 2:48am
post #5 of 5

If you're working with candy melts, they'll set up quickly once piped. The only thing that can enhance this is the addition of some paramount crystals.

If you're working with real white chocolate, that should be tempered before piping.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%