What The Best Way To Sugar A Cookie For Good Coverage? Asap

Baking By sweetcravings Updated 7 Oct 2008 , 8:05pm by shiney

sweetcravings Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 8

I want to make some cut outs completely covered in colored sugar..I just tried doing a few and i find that i'm having a hard time getting it to be fully covered so that you don't see any of the cookie underneath it. I tried filling a plate with sugar and laying the cookie ontop and pressing down gently and still the coverage is not what i'm looking for. I tried wetting the top of the cookie with water hoping that it would make the sugar stick better but it just makes the sugar melt a bit and it's messy.
Is it best to apply it after baking? Or is there a way to do this that is best done before baking. HELP>

suz

7 replies
Honeydukes Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 6:27pm
post #2 of 8

I have used an egg wash to help glue the sugar down. Try using a pastry brush to apply the wash; then sprinkle the sugar. I don't believe you get as "flocked" a coverage as when you ice and then sugar.

Pebbles13 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 8

Sweetcravings: I pm'd you back, but in case you see this first, this is how
I covered my cookies: Bake your cookies, cool, ice the cookies with a layer of royal icing (or any other icing), then while the icing is still wet, just sprinkle the sugar over the cookie. Hope that helps!
Tricia

deedee4420 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 6:52pm
post #4 of 8

I use an 1/8 tsp measuring spoon to put the sugar on the cookies before I bake them. The spoon is small enough that it concentrates the sugar all over the cookies, turns out very well covered that way.

sweetcravings Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 7:32pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks everyone...I went along with pebbles suggestion and baked them..Hopefully i can sugar them tonight. I'll try and post a pic when all done.

shiney Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 7:45pm
post #6 of 8

I actually brush light corn syrup, then sprinkle

sweetcravings Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 7:58pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiney

I actually brush light corn syrup, then sprinkle

Are you able to get a dense cover of sugar with this method? Does it stay on well?

shiney Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 8:05pm
post #8 of 8

it's not real thick. Look at my recent fish cookie, I did that with TG, let it dry just a few minutes then pour it on, press it down some, let it set a good while, then tip off excess. On that cookie, I didn't brush off stray sugar on the white TG before taking the pic (oops) I try to do the same color TG as the sugar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%