What The Best Way To Sugar A Cookie For Good Coverage? Asap

Baking By sweetcravings Updated 7 Oct 2008 , 8:05pm by shiney

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 8

I want to make some cut outs completely covered in colored sugar..I just tried doing a few and i find that i'm having a hard time getting it to be fully covered so that you don't see any of the cookie underneath it. I tried filling a plate with sugar and laying the cookie ontop and pressing down gently and still the coverage is not what i'm looking for. I tried wetting the top of the cookie with water hoping that it would make the sugar stick better but it just makes the sugar melt a bit and it's messy.
Is it best to apply it after baking? Or is there a way to do this that is best done before baking. HELP>

suz

7 replies
Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 6:27pm
post #2 of 8

I have used an egg wash to help glue the sugar down. Try using a pastry brush to apply the wash; then sprinkle the sugar. I don't believe you get as "flocked" a coverage as when you ice and then sugar.

Pebbles13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles13 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 8

Sweetcravings: I pm'd you back, but in case you see this first, this is how
I covered my cookies: Bake your cookies, cool, ice the cookies with a layer of royal icing (or any other icing), then while the icing is still wet, just sprinkle the sugar over the cookie. Hope that helps!
Tricia

deedee4420 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deedee4420 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 6:52pm
post #4 of 8

I use an 1/8 tsp measuring spoon to put the sugar on the cookies before I bake them. The spoon is small enough that it concentrates the sugar all over the cookies, turns out very well covered that way.

sweetcravings Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 7:32pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks everyone...I went along with pebbles suggestion and baked them..Hopefully i can sugar them tonight. I'll try and post a pic when all done.

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 7:45pm
post #6 of 8

I actually brush light corn syrup, then sprinkle

sweetcravings Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 7:58pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiney

I actually brush light corn syrup, then sprinkle

Are you able to get a dense cover of sugar with this method? Does it stay on well?

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 8:05pm
post #8 of 8

it's not real thick. Look at my recent fish cookie, I did that with TG, let it dry just a few minutes then pour it on, press it down some, let it set a good while, then tip off excess. On that cookie, I didn't brush off stray sugar on the white TG before taking the pic (oops) I try to do the same color TG as the sugar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%