Do You Ever Get Fed Up With Explaining Your Prices??

Decorating By sweetcravings Updated 12 Oct 2008 , 2:18pm by bobwonderbuns

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 1:21pm
post #31 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

oh sorry guys! I actually forgot to attach it! icon_redface.gif Trying again!

Great Pic!!! I just printed it and i will keep it in my quote binder to show people if they should question it.
I agree i shouldn't have shared my itemized list with my sister but i was so frustrated at that point that i wanted her to truely see what it takes to make a cake. I won't do it again, and certainly would NEVER do this with a customer. I know my sister was technically my customer but she's still my sis and i talk to her about everything so this wasn't a big deal. At least now she knows what it takes to do them. You know she has said that my cakes are worth what i was asking she just didn't want to pay it in this circumstance.
It ends up she approached the person she had offerred to bring the cake for and told her the price..she told her that if she wanted that type of cake she would either have to go halves on it or take care of it herself. The womans response, icon_eek.gif "well your sister doesn't work right. why is it such a big deal". icon_evil.gif My sister went nuts on her and told her that this is my work and how i make money. So she defended my work and told the woman to get her own cake. Ends up the lady is going to go to the local grocer for the cake...good for her. I'm so glad i stuck with my price! THat lady didn't deserve my hard work!

sweetcravings Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 1:23pm
post #32 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer7777

Those pumpkin pops are so cute!! What a neat idea for my kids' classes for Halloween to go with decorated sugar cookies...if I get around to making either of them.

I know!!! icon_biggrin.gif I was sooo happy that NEWTODECORATING posted them. I can't wait to try them. My son saw the pic and loved them.

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 1:45pm
post #33 of 44

I know it's a hard thing to do, I've had to go through it with all of the services I offer, including cake. I found myself continually saying, oh I'll take off a bit here or there, make it a round number or whatever. But nothing's worse than the feeling that you haven't been compensated fairly once you're done. So you have to grow a thick skin, just say the price and they can take it or leave it. You'll be better off for it in the end. And just as somebody else stated, those most likely aren't the customers that you want anyway.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 1:50pm
post #34 of 44

Indy -- that attachment is priceless! I agree. I have to print that out and use it to!

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 7:39pm
post #35 of 44

Me too, Love the comparison.

Sweetcravings those marshmallow pops are really cute too.

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 6:07am
post #36 of 44

I am just a hobbyist for now, but I was thinking about renting some kitchen space, so I was talking to my mom about it. I was wondering whether anyone would actually buy cakes at the price I would have to charge to even make minimum wage (we're in a small town), and she said I had to have price points for everyone. So she got a big lecture about how I DO NOT have to do that, I only want the customers who will spend a lot of money on a cake. I thought all you cakers would have been very proud of me.

Also, I cannot believe the low price some of you guys charge for your cakes. You must be getting ingredients way cheaper in the states, because some of your prices would barely cover cost of ingredients here.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 6:17am
post #37 of 44

I live in Europe, and the price of items in the states is SO cheap compared to overseas.

We were in Michigan in June visiting my Bubbie, and were astounded at how cheap everything was. Gas, clothes, food... everything! OMG!! The price of gas was so cheap! We filled up the rental car for one-third of what it would have cost here where we live!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 6:10pm
post #38 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpah

I live in Europe, and the price of items in the states is SO cheap compared to overseas.

We were in Michigan in June visiting my Bubbie, and were astounded at how cheap everything was. Gas, clothes, food... everything! OMG!! The price of gas was so cheap! We filled up the rental car for one-third of what it would have cost here where we live!

I live in Michigan and you call these prices cheap?? icon_eek.gif Our state has lead the nation in highest unemployment, highest prices for a while now. It's funny to hear someone from outside our state say the prices are cheap when those who live here are complaining that the prices of everything have easily tripled in the last few years. icon_cool.gif

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 6:34pm
post #39 of 44

I am aware that prices in the US have gone up enormously these past years. Few (if any) Americans realize just how good they had it, and just how cheap everything was before the economic crisis of the past year(s). I live in one of the most expensive countries in the world. Gas is almost $10 per gallon here, so yes, when we filled up our rental car in Greenville for $2.40 per gallon I do believe we earned the right to thing that gas was ridiculously inexpensive.

We bought so much we had to buy another suitcase to bring everything home. Levi's for $20 (they are more than $100 here). I bought two pair of Teva sandals for $70 (they cost about $150 here).

We also noticed the Wal-Mart effect EVERYWHERE; unfortunately (you know, Wal-Mart builds a store outside of town and within a year most of the downtown storefronts are closed and boarded up. The housing crisis has really hit Michigan. Tragically, we noticed homes and farms for sale everywhere we went.

bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 9:13pm
post #40 of 44

I know, it's very sad and now it's worldwide. The great divide is getting greater -- the WalMart crowd vs the couture crowd. Earlier this year (forget which quarter) sales at Neiman Marcus were way up and sales at WalMart were way down. Figure that one out! icon_confused.gif

sweetcravings Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 10:08pm
post #41 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I know, it's very sad and now it's worldwide. The great divide is getting greater -- the WalMart crowd vs the couture crowd. Earlier this year (forget which quarter) sales at Neiman Marcus were way up and sales at WalMart were way down. Figure that one out! icon_confused.gif

I have to agree with chutzpah on this....compared to where i live, Michigan prices are awesome!!! Its sickening how much i spend on clothes, food etc..here when just across the border i can get it sooooo much cheaper. If the border wasn't such a headache we would go over more but for right now a visit maybe once a month is all we can handle. We often are arguing even before we hit US customs because we are sitting end to end in the tunnel..ugh.
I know times are tough with the economy but if you were to shop in ontario you'd quickly see how much more you'd pay for things here.
I love my US shopping! Love target, mejyers, kohls...time for another shopping trip. icon_biggrin.gif

sweetcravings Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 10:11pm
post #42 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretb

Also, I cannot believe the low price some of you guys charge for your cakes. You must be getting ingredients way cheaper in the states, because some of your prices would barely cover cost of ingredients here.

I agree...i posted not long ago about pricing out some products and i had a response from "mike' who was shocked at how much my ingredinets were. For example the butter he gets in michigan was almost half my price if not even more..shocking! icon_eek.gif I have to charge ALOT for my cakes just to cover ingredients..adding in labor...=expensive cake!

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 12:09am
post #43 of 44

Sweetcravings -- I think I read that post. Yeah, 3.88 for the cheap butter, 3.99 for 1 kg (2.2 lbs)icing sugar at my local grocery store (although I can get it for about $3 at the next town and just over $2 if I go to costco in the city), flour which has doubled this year to $14 or $15 for robin hood and about $11 for generic store brand, 10 kg bag (22 pounds). There was something in Macleans (sort of the Canadian equivalent to Time) not too long ago about how even when the Canadian dollar was par with the US dollar, lots of things were way more expensive -- like 20% more expensive. And our tax rates are higher at lower incomes (you hit the maximum tax bracket around $80,000). Of course, we have universal health care, except for perscriptions and vision and dental etc etc.

bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 2:18pm
post #44 of 44

I know, I know, I'm looking at it from the inside out. I went to the grocery store yesterday and spent $177 on things that would have cost $80 just a couple months ago. But this is a worldwide problem. We're all going to see it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%