Need To Make Fondant/gumpaste Bugs,bees,butterflies,etc

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 8 Oct 2008 , 12:19pm by cylstrial

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 12:14pm
post #1 of 5

Are there any pictures or tutorials to show how to make fondant or gumpaste bugs,butterflies,catterpillars,bees lady bugs etc...

I have a order for a bug themed cake for a 1 year old and she wants all the bugs etc...

Any pictures??Tutorilas??

Thanks Laurel thumbs_up.gif

4 replies
meganmo27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meganmo27 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 2:23pm
post #2 of 5

I just finished a cake that had all of that! For the butterflies I used a butterfly cookie cutter. I took a piece of cardboard and angled it to look like a V. placed the butterflies on the cardboard so that the wings would dry up-looked like they were flying. I then took another piece of fondant and rolled it into the shape of the body inserted wire into the bottom of the body and then attached to the butterfly. Let dry. Since I had the wire in there I could place them onto the cake and it looked like they were flying. For the flowers I just used the wilton kit for making gumpaste flowers. dusted them with luster dust. to make the lady bugs and caterpillar I used royal icing. I think that was easier then using fondant. but I suppose you could just roll some balls and put them together in the shape of both. There are some really cute pics in the gallery if you're looking for ideas. Good luck!!

waybeyondcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
waybeyondcakes Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 2:34pm
post #3 of 5

Hi. I can only comment on your need for bees. I have a tutorial on youtube on how to make them. if you search either bumble bees and fondant or my username there which is 09165067633, you will see my bee tutorial. I hope that helps icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 2:50pm
post #4 of 5

I'm thinking in a pinch molds will do. They have molds for all the critters you are describing. For butterflies, I've used gumpaste, gelatin, smashed jolly ranchers, etc. There's really no end to the various techniques.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 12:19pm
post #5 of 5

Awesome thread! I've been very interested in making these little critters myself! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%