Texas Home Bakers

Business By cakelady77 Updated 8 Oct 2008 , 6:26pm by summernoelle

cakelady77 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 3:05am
post #1 of 12

I am considering turning half of my garage into a legal cake business. I am just wondering if anyone who has done this in Texas knows the "rules" that I need to follow to be legal. Or is this even possible? It seems like every government agency I call refers me to someone else who doesn't know either. Maybe I'm not calling the right people. I just want to know if Texas will allow me to have a home cake business and what are the requirements?


11 replies
CakeForte Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 3:39am
post #2 of 12

Hi, I'm in Texas.

Check your county health department website. They will have specific info for you. If there isn't anything specifically for your county and/or city , you have to follow the Texas Administrative Code, which is for the entire state. That is on the Secretary of State's website.

kelleym Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 4:07am
post #3 of 12

In addition to what CakeForte said, you should also check your city or county's zoning laws and make sure you are allowed to have a business in your home. If there you live in a Homeowner's Association or a neighborhood with deed restrictions, you need to check with them too.

sweetcakes Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 4:07am
post #4 of 12

Hey, im just north of you a bit!! you should come to our cake club meetings. your cakes are great!!
First off find out the name of the health inspector for your town, get their name and number and talk to him. It is possible but it will depend on how by the book your HI is. actually before you do that you will need to make sure that your city ordanances, or homeowners association will allow a home business. if not then thats the end of it.

cakelady77 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 2:12am
post #5 of 12

Thanks! I have talked to Tarrant county's Public Health Dept. guy and he gave me some good info about what I need (i.e. 3 compartment sink, wipeable walls, separate hand sink, etc.) But he told me to check with my city to see what regulations they have. When I called Watauga City Hall the lady acted really confused as if she didn't know what I was talking about or maybe they just don't have any regulations. And I don't live in a homeowners association so I guess this is something that is acually possible to do. I just don't want to invest a lot of time and money just to find out that I can't legally do this. I've just had such a hard time getting a straight forward answer. Watauga is one of the smallest cities in the Ft. Worth area so maybe they just don't care. I guess I should just follow the guidlines of Tarrant County.

sweetcakes - What is the name of your cake club? I've actually been looking for a cake club to join. I am just now realizing that there are things like cake clubs and competitions in the cake world. I've known about ICES for a while but never really wanted to shell out the money for that. But just in the past year my eyes have been opened to so much more that's out there! I guess I've been living in a cave or something. I would definitely be interested in getting more info about your cake club.

Thanks again!

CakeForte Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 2:37am
post #6 of 12
Originally Posted by cakelady77

But he told me to check with my city to see what regulations they have. .

Yeah, My city is split in two counties, I happen to be in the county that is outside of the city limits and the rules pretty much the same, but the permitting fees and charges are a lot cheaper where I am.

Keep checking with city hall though to find out the answers in writing. It's possible you just got someone who doesn't really care. Maybe change up the key words and say something like..."I want to open a restaurant, who do I need to meet with at city hall to get licensed?"

Molly2 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 2:46am
post #7 of 12


I'm in Collin County may I ask were you get your supplies I'm always looking for new places in this area to get supplies


cakelady77 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 3:56am
post #8 of 12

I get some of my supplies at Elizabeth's Cake Supply in Euless. But I mostly order online through either Global Sugar Art or Country Kitchen Sweetart. I do know there is a supply place in Richardson called Cake Carousel. I've wanted to check it out but it's a little far for me.

Molly2 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 10:34am
post #9 of 12

I've been to Elizabeth's and Cake Carousel Thanks you! I'm always looking for a new place


sweetcakes Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 5:11pm
post #10 of 12

its called the Denton cake club. It is all possible, i have redone our garage, you need to come up and take a look. Do you have a restaurant close by, their inspector will probably be yours so its best to talk to the person who will handle your certificate.

cakelady77 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 6:21pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks for all the info! That really helps!

summernoelle Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 6:26pm
post #12 of 12

I checked into this a few months ago. In my city, I can't convert my garage because the city ordinance says we have to have a two car garage. So if I did do that, I would have had to build another garage. Does that make sense?

Also, I have a HOA, so that could have been a PITA about it, too. I think they have rules about coverting your house for things like that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%