Making A Building

Decorating By Sweettooth1120 Updated 11 Oct 2008 , 4:19am by Sweettooth1120

Sweettooth1120 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 2:38am
post #1 of 6

In December for my works xmas party I will be making a cake resembling one of our buildings. The cake will need to serve about 200-250. The cake itself shouldnt be difficult as the basic design is a rectangular shape. My issue is that I am afraid that the weight of the building will make it collapse. I have done stacked cakes before and have had no issues but with a stacked cake, in most of my cases, the cakes get smaller as they go up and therefore the weight decreases with each tier. I am worried about the support of the cake. I have attached a picture of one of the buildings that I may be doing. The pillars will probably be plastic and the accents will be gumpaste. ANy suggestions you have to help me with this cake would be appreciated.
LL

5 replies
Cake_Princess Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 2:43am
post #2 of 6

If it's properly doweled you should not have a problem with it collapsing.

jammjenks Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 11:51am
post #3 of 6

I would suggest dowels and cake boards between every 2 layers.

alvarezmom Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 1:27pm
post #4 of 6

You should read leahs SPS instructions. I think there's a sticky on the Decorating forum.

BlakesCakes Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 2:32am
post #5 of 6

I needed a cake for 200 and wanted a house to be the main feature. I just couldn't imagine the weight and scope of a cake that size, so I cheated--I made a house out of rice krispie treats and put it in a bi-level lawn that fed 200.

The RKT house sat on a board decorated with shrubbery & a walk and had 10 plastic dowels under it for support. I put it in place when I arrived at the venue.

Just a thought.
Rae
LL

Sweettooth1120 Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 4:19am
post #6 of 6

Wow Rae that cake was beautiful. Unfortunatley unless I had just one large sheet cake underneath then I dont think that would work out based on the way our locations look. Plus I realllllly want to do the building in cake. I think I might check out the SPS. Thanks for the idea.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%