Cooking And Freezing

Lounge By blueskies Updated 7 Oct 2008 , 8:30pm by TexasSugar

blueskies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blueskies Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 2:26am
post #1 of 4

I want to make a bunch of meals and freeze them for later (things like lasagna, eggplant parmesan etc). Does anyone know if I should bake the meal first then freeze or freeze it before baking? If its cooked first to cook, I assume you just thaw and then cook until heated? Thanks for any help!

3 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 3:38am
post #2 of 4

It depends on what it is for me. When I do things in casseroles I get it to the point that I would put it in the oven. I do my lasagna in mini loaf pans for single servings. I cover then in wax paper then a piece of foil and stick in a ziploc bag. When I am ready to cook it I pull it out, either thaw it or just stick it in the oven (after removing the wax paper and putting the foil back on for atleast part of the baking.)

When I do things like meatballs I go ahead and cook then so I can just thaw them and throw them in to skettie sauce.

I'm thinking with the eggplant parm I would probably go ahead and cook the egg plant because that would save you time later. You can always try it both ways and compare which is better.

blueskies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blueskies Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 4:36pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks, TexasSugar! I will have to experiment a little. By the way, I saw your other post about recipes and weight loss is one of the big reasons I'm freezing meals - if I don't have something available for dinner I end up eating badly!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 8:30pm
post #4 of 4

I live alone, but eat at my parents house alot, since they are just 2 miles down the road for me. If I didn't keep food in my freezer I'd never have anything to eat at home, because food doesn't last forever in your fridge, ya know?

Here is a link to a thread where I asked ideas and suggestions about freezing foods. Maybe you will find some information for you in it.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-583349-freeze.html+bacon

I also have become a big fan of frozen veggies now. I can keep a several different bags in my freezer so I can just grab what I am in the mood for and heat it up. There are also some that have smaller servings, one or two, that are great as well.

I'm in the process of planning my breakfast and lunches for the week, so I don't have to stop and think about it. And so I can have what I want/need to eat well on hand. I find when I go hunting for something to eat, I usually end up with something no so good for ya. When I know what I am having before it is time to eat, then I make a better choice.

Good luck freezing. Another good think about it is that you can spend a day messing up and cleaning up your kitchen and having something easy to prepare during the week with out all the mess. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%