Making A Great Tasting Cake From Scratch......

Baking By tannersmom Updated 8 Oct 2008 , 12:59pm by momma28

tannersmom Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 2:10am
post #1 of 5

I like both; a box cake and from scratch. I always have a problem with my scratch cakes (especially pound) tasting like flour. What am I doing wrong? I know that their are alot of scratch bakers on CC and I'd love to know, how do you get your cake to taste to good ( and I know they do) LOL? DO I need to replace the flour with Cake flour? Just wondering if you any good tips to offer.

Thanks
Stephanie

4 replies
JanH Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 6:38am
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tannersmom

I like both; a box cake and from scratch. I always have a problem with my scratch cakes (especially pound) tasting like flour. What am I doing wrong? I know that their are alot of scratch bakers on CC and I'd love to know, how do you get your cake to taste to good ( and I know they do) LOL? DO I need to replace the flour with Cake flour? Just wondering if you any good tips to offer.

Thanks
Stephanie

The secret to great scratch baking is (following directions in a) good recipe and proper technique, i.e., weighing or measuring ingredients accurately, sifting dry ingredients, proper mixing of fat and sugar (there are several different methods,) etc.......

Sloppy or poor technique will result in less than perfect baked goods.

In your other similar post, the pound cake recipes I provided are my personal favorites so I can attest to their palatability:
(Also if you want MORE FLAVOR in your cakes, just add more extract, but that won't help if you don't like the texture or if the cakes are dry, etc.)

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605693-.html

Using cake flour will result in a cake that has a smaller crumb and finer texture than AP flour, which is not to say that using AP flour yields an undesirable crumb or texture.

I feel using cake or AP flour is matter of personal preference; my sister prefers pound cakes made with AP flour, I prefer mine made with cake flour.

If you seriously want to learn about the proper methods for producing scratch cakes, I would heartily recommend:

www.joyofbaking.com

Has all the info you need to understand baking science, proper use of the different techniques and also provides recipes - and much more.

Good luck and have fun!

sayhellojana Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 7:25am
post #3 of 5

I think it's really about trying good recipes. Some scratch recipes are a lot of work for very little payoff. Here is a perfect example of a delicious scratch cake. I love this recipe, I use it all the time. AMAZING texture. This cake will make you want to bake from scratch, I swear.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/40-a-day/chocolate-fudge-cake-with-vanilla-buttercream-frosting-and-chocolate-ganache-glaze-recipe/index.html

tannersmom Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 12:55am
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the replies. I'm gonna do more research and hopefully the results will be much better. I will ck out the site joy of baking. I;m sure they have plenty of tips and info that will help.

Sayhellojana: that cake looks awesome. Makes me wanna bake one right now.

Thanks
Stephanie

momma28 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 12:59pm
post #5 of 5

I would get the Cake Bible. Best gift I ever got. The recipes are fabulous and easy to follow. Great results every time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%