New To Fondant - Very Serious Issues Here

Decorating By 3inafternoon Updated 7 Oct 2008 , 7:30pm by kakeladi

3inafternoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3inafternoon Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 1:59am
post #1 of 6

I have to make two cakes for a B-day. I was hoping to save some time by icing my cake with a chocoate buttercream that uses hot fudge topping under my fondant. The pirate ship is taking the chocolate buttercream. BUT my girls want a Princess cake (I know, this sounds a bit like a romance novel). If I do the crumb layer in chocolate icing and them put a pink MMF over the buttercream - will it look like princess had Exlax? thumbsdown.gif

I always love your help!!!

5 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 2:52am
post #2 of 6

There is a good chance that the chocolate icing will show through the pink MMF. If you roll the MMF thicker, there is a chance it won't show thru. The pink would probably have to be a deep pink as well.

I had trouble understanding exactly what your situation is. I think more people will respond if they understand.

Here's my take on what you wrote. You have two birthday cakes to make. One is a pirate ship and the other is a princess cake. You don't want to have to mix up to batches of icing to crumbcoat... and you have to use chocolate for the pirate cake. So you want to use the chocolate to crumb coat the princess cake as well. However, you are concerned that the chocolate is going to come thru the pink MMF and look bad.

Goodluck!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 5:55am
post #3 of 6

You'll be fine, just make sure the fondant is properly thick. I have a pink gift box cake in my gallery in which the fondant covered a cake iced in chocolate ganache; you'd never know what color cake was under there. I've read descriptions of plenty of cakes here which were iced in chocolate before being covered in fondant, and all came out just fine icon_smile.gif.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 6:14am
post #4 of 6

I iced a cake with dark chocolate frosting and covered it in yellow fondant just fine. yellow and pink are both lighter colors, so I dont think you should have trouble.

KBrennan805 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KBrennan805 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 4:07pm
post #5 of 6

I agree with cylstrial... I think you just have to make sure that the pink is a darker pink.

What about a marble effect? It may take people's attention away from any spots that show any signs of brown underneath. What I would do is to make a batch of lighter pink fondant & take a toothpick w/ the food color (I use gel) & randomly put a tiny bit (a little goes a long way sometimes!) of the pink color all around the ball of fondant. Knead it a little bit so the color blends, but the fondant isn't all one color.

Just an idea... Good luck!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 7:30pm
post #6 of 6

A crumb coat is thin....but not too thinicon_smile.gif
If your fondant is rolled at least 1/4" thick you should not have any problems. BTW: 1/4" is just about the thickness of an ordinary cake circle.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%