10X Confectioners Sugar

Decorating By mclean Updated 7 Oct 2008 , 6:14pm by mclean

mclean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclean Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 12:42am
post #1 of 7

I have seen some buttercream recipes that call for 10X confectioner's sugar but don't know what that is or where it is available in Canada. Can
anyone help? Thanks!

6 replies
Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 1:19am
post #2 of 7

I very rarely see the "10X" on powdered (confectioners) sugar labels anymore. I always assume that it's 10X. However, I noticed that Domino sugar labels theirs because they offer both a 10X and a 4X.

I haven't experienced anything adverse from simply using "confectioners sugar" or "powdered sugar".

Anyone know if I should not make this assumption?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 2:38am
post #3 of 7

It's my impression that most "confectioner's sugar"/powdered sugar sold in supermarkets is 10X (ground 10 times) and that 4x & 6x are usually marked as such and found primarily in baking supply stores.

The bigger issue for me is that the label say "pure cane sugar". If it doesn't say that, it's usually beet sugar. I, personally, haven't been happy with the results of icings made with beet sugar. Domino's and C&H are marked "pure cane".

HTH
Rae

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 3:02am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclean

I have seen some buttercream recipes that call for 10X confectioner's sugar but don't know what that is or where it is available in Canada. Can
anyone help? Thanks!

That 10x just denotes the sugar has been ground 10 times.

Just get icing sugar and you will be fine.

2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 3:21am
post #5 of 7

I read on the package of 10x (I am not sure the brand, but it came from Sam's Club) that it had cornstarch added to it to keep it from clumping. The regular ps did not,.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 3:29am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2508s42

I read on the package of 10x (I am not sure the brand, but it came from Sam's Club) that it had cornstarch added to it to keep it from clumping. The regular ps did not,.

In the US, and I believe Canada as well, about 3% cornstrach is added to PS. In the UK, icing sugar doesn't routinely have cornstarch in it. Could be that with larger grains (4x & 6x), CS may not be necessary????

Rae

mclean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclean Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 6:14pm
post #7 of 7

Aha! Thanks for clearing this one up for me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%