To Refrigerate Or Not To Refrigerate...

Decorating By ladybuglau Updated 11 Oct 2008 , 12:16am by ladybuglau

ladybuglau Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 12:16am
post #1 of 7

while I'm on the subject of my previous post.... what kinds of fillings can or can't be refrigerated? And I correct in what I've been told that fondant covered cakes cannot be refrigerated because they'll sweat? So how do you handle the limited filling choices????
(cake order just booked today, for this weekend, mom wants fresh strawberries and bananas inside a fondant covered cake!)

6 replies
PinkZiab Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 12:26am
post #2 of 7

I use satin ice and I refrigerate ALL of my cakes without consequence.

dogluvr Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 2:02am
post #3 of 7

I'd like to know too. Are you saying satin ice does not sweat like regular fondant?

AZCakeGirl Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 2:21am
post #4 of 7

I've heard of fondant cakes sweating before & was very cautious at first. I put them in the fridge all the time now (for the last 2 years) & have never had a problem. I think maybe it depends on the fridge. Perhaps older models produce more moisture? Not sure???

I also took a class with Bronwen Weber & she said that she puts all her fondant cakes in the fridge too. She said she first sprays them with a light coating of vodka using her airbrush though, I don't know what that does but apparently she thinks it does something & thats why she does it. She also said that if you DO have a problem with condensation that you can get mineral panels & have them put in your fridge. They need to be changed on a regular basis though & are a little hard to come by.

All that being said though, obviously there are people out there in this world who HAVE had problems putting their fondant in the fridge so I would still be very cautious about it. Maybe do a few test cakes & see what the results are in your fridge.

AZCakeGirl Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 2:23am
post #5 of 7

Sorry, I almost forget to mention that I have used Satin Ice before but usually make my own fondant & they both had the same results.

ceshell Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 6:12am
post #6 of 7

AZCakeGirl, when you say you make your own too, what recipe do you use? 2 out of 3x for me, MMF definitely sweat and stayed shiny forEVER after coming out of the fridge. I bought some Satin Ice to try as I have seen zillions of post stating there are no problems refrigerating SI. Michelle Foster's fondant apparently refrigerates well too...I am getting the impression that it is just MMF that likes to cause problems.

For what it's worth if you don't mind a potentially shiny cake, using MMF is fine, you just need to not touch it while it's trying to dry out. And don't put any deco's on if they are prone to sagging (curlicues, anything sticking out of the cake) as of course the moisture would destroy them.

For your order for this weekend, when is pickup time? If you are in fact using MMF, can you bake, ice, fondant and refrigerate in advance, and then just add decorations a few hours before pickup? If you're using Satin Ice, well then never mind, just go for it!

eta: another thread with the same question here - a few different people chimed in with some help:

ladybuglau Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 12:16am
post #7 of 7

thanks ceshell! I am using satin ice, so I'm gonna go for it tomorrow!

Quote by @%username% on %date%