What Went Wrong?

Business By CakeMommyTX Updated 8 Oct 2008 , 7:46pm by RobzC8kz

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 11:04pm
post #1 of 10

I'm very confused (which isnât unusual icon_lol.gif ).
I have been working on an order for some cupcakes this week.
I have had several friendly emails back and forth with the customer.
She decided on some fondant decorated Mario Bros cupcakes.
I quoted her the price and reminded her there was a minimum order of 2 dz (she only needed 16, and I had previously told her the min. and it is posted on my website).
So she emails me back surprised that there is a min order, and then proceeds to tell me that she is going to deduct 15$ off the price because she wants to pick them up (the kitchen I rent from does not allow customer pick ups, so I deliver everything), my delivery fee is 20$, so I'm not sure where she got the 15$ from? But she did want to place the order and needed to know what info I need to finalize it.
And this is all fine, I planned on explaining to her that the place I bake from wonât let me have customers there, it is their kitchen after all.
But then before I could even reply I get another email from her saying, "thank you but I've found another baker".
What did I do wrong?
Its just weird that she would email me back to back, one email confirming the order the other canceling it?
It couldnât have been the price, she was fine with it the previous email, so what could it have been?
I've never had anyone do that before.
Should I email her to make sure she wants to cancel the order?
The thought occurred to me that she might have been shopping around and the cancellation email was meant for another person not me, I know its a slim chance but it could happen? icon_confused.gif

9 replies
loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 11:37pm
post #2 of 10

You never know what lurks inside the mind of a customer....she may have decided to use her next door neighbor who bakes cupcakes or just go to the grocery store. I wouldn't let it bother you..stick to your guns as far as pricing, delivery, etc.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 11:40pm
post #3 of 10

she was probably shopping around. You can't win them all.

RevRicky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RevRicky Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 9:17pm
post #4 of 10

I wouldn't worry too much about this customer. Working with people can be a fickle thing - and as others have said - stick to your standards and costs. I might suggest that you keep the emails just so you can pull them out if there is a problem.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 10:41pm
post #5 of 10

It certainly was the price.

Mike

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 1:25am
post #6 of 10

I agree on the price comment as well. It's a good thing she went somewhere else...If someone tried to tell me how much my products are going to be I would tell them "no cake for you!". She's crazy...you are better off.

Laura612 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura612 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 5:15am
post #7 of 10

I would recommend responding to the cancelation email with a simple message letting her know that you received it and her order is now cancelled.

If she sent it on accident, then you'll here back from her. You could have rec'd the emails back to back because there was a hiccup in either yours or hers internet server.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 3:05pm
post #8 of 10

I agaree w/Laura....make sure the cancelation was ment for you.

whimsette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whimsette Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 7:12pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourstrulytx

What did I do wrong?

It doesn't sound like you did anything wrong. You stuck to your policies and didn't bend even when the customer tried to dictate new terms to you. There's nothing wrong with that at all.

Just to be safe, I would email back with the confirmation of the cancellation and move on.

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 7:46pm
post #10 of 10

I wouldn't worry about it. People are just like that. They want everything their way and they don't care if you have rules or standards that you follow. The fact that she would tell you that she's deducting $15.00 from your price FOR YOU is enough to tell ME that you're better off not dealing with her.

I tell people all the time...

If you can't buy it off a shelf, or make it yourself, then you will pay what I charge or you will go without.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%