Black Icing And How Many Dowels....

Decorating By Wesha Updated 6 Oct 2008 , 11:19pm by Wesha

Wesha Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 9

Guys,

I have a birthday cake due for Saturday. It is a two tiered square 8 and 12 inches. They want black icing. Does the black tint cause the icing to become bitter? Also, how many dowels will I need. The customer wants to pick up the cake. I insisted on delivery but she wants to pick it up. I told her that I could not be responsible after the cake leaves my house.
Any advice on the tint and dowels would be appreciated.

thanks

Wesha

8 replies
kakeladi Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 10:27pm
post #2 of 9

Black icing: Make it today! It needs time for the color to develop. If there is no objection, make a chocolate icing, then add your black paste or gel color. If you have little bits of icing of other colors around that you want to use up....mix them all together....dont worry about the weird color that results, just add black to it. You won't get that bitter taste or use nearly as much as starting from white.

As for how many dowels you need: You are placing an 8" on top so put about 8 supports in. This is a good time to use straws as an 8 isn't very heavy. Cover the cakeboard the 8 will sit on *completely* front & back with foil....it must be foil. That will 'bite' into the straw support and hold better.
Another option is to get Wilton's hidden pillars... they are hollow plastic tubes OR use 4" push-in pillars if the base cake is 4" tall & a Wilton plastic cake/seperator plate. Then put the cake on the plate to fit into which ever pillars you choose to go with.
Yah, I know many will tell you SPS and yes, it is the perfect answer but I doubt you will have time to order it and recieve it in time.

sari66 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 10:30pm
post #3 of 9

I usually buy black bc but I wouldn't think that adding the black would make it bitter but why not try it out first and see what you think.
As for the dowels I'd put 6-8 in your 12" and that should be fine. Also since your customer is picking up the cake make sure you have a non skid mat to put it on.

hth

Wesha Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 10:57pm
post #4 of 9

So I can use about 8 straws in the 12 inch. What about the 8 inch square? Also since the cakes are square, can I find square cake boards? This is my first stacked cake so I am a wee bit nervous. I am going to make my buttercream on Tuesday, since I have to go out to Sam's.

sari66 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 10:59pm
post #5 of 9

Unless your stacking another cake on top of the 8 it doesn't need dowels

Wesha Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 11:08pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sari66

Unless your stacking another cake on top of the 8 it doesn't need dowels

thanks sari66,

Can you buy square cake boards?

kakeladi Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 11:11pm
post #7 of 9

........Unless your stacking another cake on top of the 8 it doesn't need dowels....

Dowels/support should alwasy be used when ever going up more than 4-5" high.
Soooooo if the base cake is 4" tall Yes, use supports.
If the top cake is only a 6x2 then you could get away w/o them.

BUT.....in *this* case someone else is going to transport the cake. You want to give them the b est advantage you canicon_smile.gif

As for Sq boards....not too many places carry them. You will need to cut down a (1/4) sheet cake board or buy some foamcore & cut it.
Any & all boards should be covered w/some sort of grease proff paper like freezer wrap, aluminum or special cake foil etc.

sari66 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 11:14pm
post #8 of 9

Ditto what kakeladi says

Wesha Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 11:19pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Black icing: Make it today! It needs time for the color to develop. If there is no objection, make a chocolate icing, then add your black paste or gel color. If you have little bits of icing of other colors around that you want to use up....mix them all together....dont worry about the weird color that results, just add black to it. You won't get that bitter taste or use nearly as much as starting from white.

As for how many dowels you need: You are placing an 8" on top so put about 8 supports in. This is a good time to use straws as an 8 isn't very heavy. Cover the cakeboard the 8 will sit on *completely* front & back with foil....it must be foil. That will 'bite' into the straw support and hold better.
Another option is to get Wilton's hidden pillars... they are hollow plastic tubes OR use 4" push-in pillars if the base cake is 4" tall & a Wilton plastic cake/seperator plate. Then put the cake on the plate to fit into which ever pillars you choose to go with.
Yah, I know many will tell you SPS and yes, it is the perfect answer but I doubt you will have time to order it and recieve it in time.

Do I cover both boards in foil? Also will I have to cut the bottom board to fit or 2 inches larger? The bottom tier is 12 inches square. And what should I sit the whole cake on and since the cake will be black with white flowers, what color foil do you think I should go with?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%