Confused On Serving Size

Decorating By snoopy3 Updated 7 Oct 2008 , 9:12am by deliciously_decadent

snoopy3 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 9:53pm
post #1 of 5

A friend wants me to make a baby shower cake for her. Looking at the serving sizes (all over, on cc, on the web etc) I am feeling more confused than ever.

I told her that a 10" would feed approx 38 people. But I have also found some servings that say it only feeds 20 people.

Should I go bigger?? I am going to torte it and fill with buttercream, so I am thinking it will be about 4" high. She said that there is going to be between 25-35 people.

help.... please.....thanks

4 replies
peg818 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 9:57pm
post #2 of 5

For servings i figure on the amount of batter i make, for one standard cake mix i figure 15 party servings or 20 wedding. So for a 10 inch round two layers high i would use 2 mixes so that would yield 30 to 40 servings depending on how it is cut.

kakeladi Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 10:33pm
post #3 of 5

One way to figure out how many servings you get from a cake is to make a paper pattern that size and mark it off into the size servings you want; count them upicon_smile.gif
Also it depends on whether it is 4" tall or 2".
Just remember a 2x2x2" serving is the same amount of cake as a 1x2x4.

According to Wilton's chart a 10x4 tier will serve 39.

snoopy3 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 10:38pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks, that helps a great deal!!

deliciously_decadent Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 9:12am
post #5 of 5

this is a topic of many many many differing opinions, what is often advised is find a guide and syick to it, i personlly like the bigger serves per cake and my guides are 1.5"x2" serves but its a peronsal choice, so by my guides a 10" serves 30 and 11" serves 35 and a 12" serves 45. hope that helped, there is a great cutting guide (i say great as its the same ones i use icon_biggrin.gif ) here on CC under the patterns area of photos.

Quote by @%username% on %date%