Buttercream Icing

Decorating By BabyBear3 Updated 7 Oct 2008 , 6:03pm by l80bug79

BabyBear3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyBear3 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 9:38pm
post #1 of 12

I am making a baby shower cake next week with vanilla on the bottom and chocolate on the top. Does anyone have a certain buttercream/chocolate buttercream recipe that is tried and true that everyone loves??? I am trying to break away from using the wilton recipe and want to try something new but would like some input!

TIA!!!!!!!!!!

11 replies
DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 9:59pm
post #2 of 12

I use a recipe by a lady called Serious Cakes. She is here on CC and you can find her videos on Youtube, just search for her name. As a matter of fact, she has a video on making her buttercream, which includes the recipe. Check it out there, because I'm at my office right now and don't have the recipe. I think it is an excellent recipe, has great flavor, crusts nicely and is lovely to work with.

toristreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toristreats Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 9:59pm
post #3 of 12

Try Sugarshacks buttercream recipe it's in the recipe section. It is so yummy tasting and if you have any questions she is so good about answering them.

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 10:07pm
post #4 of 12

I love serious cakes frosting too! Here are the links

youtube.com

BabyBear3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyBear3 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 1:02am
post #5 of 12

Thanks ya'll!

l80bug79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l80bug79 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 1:07am
post #6 of 12

I too use serious_cake's recipe. love it love it!!! trying the cream cheese one for the first time this week. but i've used her vanilla & choc one.

ceani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceani Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 1:23am
post #7 of 12

I've used seriouscake recipe its great the only problem i had was that the bc started dripping from my pipping bad and some roses started to fall off maybe i didn't use it correct or the climate had some thing to do with it (it was 104that day) .don't know

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 5:33pm
post #8 of 12

ceani-sounds like hot hands and a hot house!! Use less liquid and here's what I do when decorating in extreme heat and humidity: I fill a pie pan with ice, place another pie pan on top of the ice and put my frosting bags on top pie pan. I have very hot hands and it's tough decorating in the summer time. I either have to pipe very fast or use my handy dandy insta-fridge! icon_lol.gif
l80bug79 -let me know how it goes for you!
And thank you everyone icon_biggrin.gif

l80bug79 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 5:41pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious_Cakes

ceani-sounds like hot hands and a hot house!! Use less liquid and here's what I do when decorating in extreme heat and humidity: I fill a pie pan with ice, place another pie pan on top of the ice and put my frosting bags on top pie pan. I have very hot hands and it's tough decorating in the summer time. I either have to pipe very fast or use my handy dandy insta-fridge! icon_lol.gif
l80bug79 -let me know how it goes for you!
And thank you everyone icon_biggrin.gif

Any tips on making the chocolate darker? should i use the dark choc melts instead of choc chips?
LL

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 5:51pm
post #10 of 12

Your cake looks awesome! I usually add a little bit of brown to the frosting to make it the color I like.

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 6:02pm
post #11 of 12

I would agree with nickshalfpint, although you could also use the 'special dark' Hershey's cocoa powder in place of the melted chocolate, you'd need about 1 1/2 c. I haven't tried that but I've read about other people doing it.

l80bug79 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 6:03pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickshalfpint

Your cake looks awesome! I usually add a little bit of brown to the frosting to make it the color I like.

thanks....

i'll try that next time. just had the "begginer bag of colors" (wilton pastes) to work with at the time, but i've since gotten some better colors.

that was my anniv. cake to my hubby last week. we watch entirely TOO MUCH Tombstone (where the line comes from) and i just threw a huckleberry hound to go with it. lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%