First Baby Shower Cake, Help!

Decorating By NikNicole Updated 7 Oct 2008 , 9:21pm by NikNicole

NikNicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikNicole Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 9:15pm
post #1 of 4

I'm doing a two tier strawberry cake with cream cheese icing (per customers request), but I'm having some problems with my decorations. I have a silicone mold that does beautiful bibs, bottles, etc that I was planning to decorate the sides of the cake with, but I don't know what to put on the top of the cake. I was thinking about making a fondant baby and placing some of the smaller items around her, but I've never made a baby before and have no idea where to begin! Please Help!!!

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 10:39pm
post #2 of 4

Can you get your hands on a book on polymer clay? There is a wealth of info on creating fondant &/or gumpaste figures in some of them.

I think I'd take the easy road and just pile one of each item on top.....maybe make the cake mound on top to show them off.

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 11:33pm
post #3 of 4

Just a thought - how about making a playpen out of gumpaste and putting items inside and arround it. Or what about making play blocks and like suggested above - stack the items around each other. Maybe make the blocks spell out B A B Y in soft pastel colors. Just some ideas being thrown out there. Oh - I've seen little baby's laying under blankets as toppers on shower cakes - that would be easy cause all you'd really have to make is the head and then just mold some fondant to look like the body of a baby laying on it's belly and then cut a piece of fondant to look like a baby blanket and put it over the body...... thumbs_up.gif
I hope this gets your idea juices flowing - it did mine as you can see.

NikNicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikNicole Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 9:21pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you guys so much for the input, I'm going to try a fondant baby tonight with the blanket over it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%