Anyone Have Problem With Cake Boards Bending?

Decorating By heather1 Updated 9 Oct 2008 , 7:59am by OCakes

heather1 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 7:33pm
post #1 of 15

My cake boards dont seem to offer much support for my cakes. 1/2 sheet in particular. I dont like sending my heavy duty (pressed cake boards) boards with anyone except family. That way I know I'll get it back. I keep having to double my boards up and then I have to add that to the price. Anyone have any suggestions or know where I can find some that wont bend from the weight of the cake? TIA

14 replies
Parable Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 7:42pm
post #2 of 15

Try foamcore boards. You need to cut them yourself but they work great! You can get them at Michaels or any craft store.

sari66 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 12:22am
post #3 of 15

Double up or foamcore

bettinashoe Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 12:32am
post #4 of 15

I use the foam core boards. I've never had a failure with them. I've also found that if you hot glue 3 or 4 buttoms on the underside of the foam core board after you cut it to size you can get your hands underneath the board to move it/transport it after it is decorated. I buy up cards of flat buttons whenever I see them on sale and also do the same with the foam boards. They're often 1/2 price at Michaels and Hobby Lobby. I put them away in a cabinet until I need them.

tannersmom Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 12:32am
post #5 of 15

I agree with the previous posts. I have to double up. HTH

cylstrial Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 8:12pm
post #6 of 15

I've never tried the foam core.. but I'll check it out. You could get quite a few out of it..depending on the size.
Thanks for the info!

I normally double up or use the thick ones.. but like you said you won't get them back..unless your there to get it yourself.

PinkZiab Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 12:45am
post #7 of 15

I only use masonite (under every tier, as well as as a base board) and it's built into the price of the cake so I don't ever have to worry about getting them back. They are a "disposable" item to me.

SugarFrosted Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 1:06am
post #8 of 15

No bendy boards for me. I have used plywood and masonite boards for over 20 years. Many of my boards have been around the entire time. I also use only plastic cake boxes. My clients know that if they don't return my stuff, no more cake for them. I cover the boards with white Contact and then foil. The Contact has been replaced a few times over the years, but generally it lasts for ages. Wipe clean and recover with foil. This has saved me a lot of money over the years.

Deb_ Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 1:51am
post #9 of 15

O.K., I can never view anybody's attached pictures icon_cry.gif Does anyone else have this problem?

Anyway, back to the question............The only time I had issues with cake boards bending, was when I used the Wilton brand. I buy my boards from a baker's wholesale and they are so much stronger. I haven't had to double them up yet. The Wilton boxes are flimsy good for nothings also.

If you can find a baker's wholesale in your area give them a try for boards.

indydebi Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 2:09am
post #10 of 15
Originally Posted by dkelly27

O.K., I can never view anybody's attached pictures icon_cry.gif Does anyone else have this problem?

Yes. SOMETIMES .... if I come back to a thread a few days later, I can see the pic. Very frustrating.

Anyway .... I use (1) three cardboards wrapped together in decorative foil, or (2) Wooden boards that I've had cut to size at Lowe's (probably cheaper than 3 cardboards!).

Price it accordingly. The support board is as much a part of the "cost of ingredients" as your eggs and oil.

sammie192 Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 6:22am
post #11 of 15

sugarfrosted where did you find your plastic cake box?
thanks sammie icon_smile.gif

margaretb Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 6:29am
post #12 of 15

SugarFrosted -- I thought I was so clever when I started using my upside down rubbermaid to hold my cakes!

PICTURES -- I get the red X more often than I get the picture. Sometimes if you refresh the page, the picture will come up. But I recently read on a thread to try right clicking on the picture then select "Show Picture". So far that has done the trick with only one or two tries.

SugarFrosted Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 6:43am
post #13 of 15

They are Rubbermaid (or maybe Sterlite...I have some of each) storage boxes I have bought over the years. I think they have changed the design/style since then. The boxes are flipped so the lid becomes the base. I have about 15 large boxes (to fit a 12x18, or larger character cake) and maybe 10 small boxes (to fit a 9x13, or smaller character cake.) They were $4-$8 when I bought them. My husband cuts/sands the boards for me.

I should also mention that I have been using the Wilton 3in1 cake/cupcake carriers lately for the smaller sized cakes. Those have a very nice handle on top for one-handed carrying. My husband bought me 6 (SIX !) of them when I used the "50% off Unlimited ALL Wilton products" coupon from Michael's. I don't use a board for those.

loriemoms Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 7:00am
post #14 of 15

I use cake drums (I buy them from Bakery crafts). I am too lazy to cut foamcore icon_biggrin.gif

OCakes Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 7:59am
post #15 of 15

That's a great idea Sugar Frosted... I just wanted to add that I can be a "cheepy" for family cakes - any shipments I receive - "recycle" the cardboard. The boxes I get are great, sturdy & nobody ever seems to notice. I don't sell cakes on those, but it saves a bit of cost for family cakes going out of the house - my family members are sug-a-holics =)

Quote by @%username% on %date%