Anyone Have Problem With Cake Boards Bending?

Decorating By heather1 Updated 9 Oct 2008 , 7:59am by OCakes

heather1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heather1 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 7:33pm
post #1 of 15

My cake boards dont seem to offer much support for my cakes. 1/2 sheet in particular. I dont like sending my heavy duty (pressed cake boards) boards with anyone except family. That way I know I'll get it back. I keep having to double my boards up and then I have to add that to the price. Anyone have any suggestions or know where I can find some that wont bend from the weight of the cake? TIA

14 replies
Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 7:42pm
post #2 of 15

Try foamcore boards. You need to cut them yourself but they work great! You can get them at Michaels or any craft store.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 12:22am
post #3 of 15

Double up or foamcore

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 12:32am
post #4 of 15

I use the foam core boards. I've never had a failure with them. I've also found that if you hot glue 3 or 4 buttoms on the underside of the foam core board after you cut it to size you can get your hands underneath the board to move it/transport it after it is decorated. I buy up cards of flat buttons whenever I see them on sale and also do the same with the foam boards. They're often 1/2 price at Michaels and Hobby Lobby. I put them away in a cabinet until I need them.

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 12:32am
post #5 of 15

I agree with the previous posts. I have to double up. HTH

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 8:12pm
post #6 of 15

I've never tried the foam core.. but I'll check it out. You could get quite a few out of it..depending on the size.
Thanks for the info!

I normally double up or use the thick ones.. but like you said you won't get them back..unless your there to get it yourself.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 12:45am
post #7 of 15

I only use masonite (under every tier, as well as as a base board) and it's built into the price of the cake so I don't ever have to worry about getting them back. They are a "disposable" item to me.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 1:06am
post #8 of 15

No bendy boards for me. I have used plywood and masonite boards for over 20 years. Many of my boards have been around the entire time. I also use only plastic cake boxes. My clients know that if they don't return my stuff, no more cake for them. I cover the boards with white Contact and then foil. The Contact has been replaced a few times over the years, but generally it lasts for ages. Wipe clean and recover with foil. This has saved me a lot of money over the years.
LL

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 1:51am
post #9 of 15

O.K., I can never view anybody's attached pictures icon_cry.gif Does anyone else have this problem?

Anyway, back to the question............The only time I had issues with cake boards bending, was when I used the Wilton brand. I buy my boards from a baker's wholesale and they are so much stronger. I haven't had to double them up yet. The Wilton boxes are flimsy good for nothings also.

If you can find a baker's wholesale in your area give them a try for boards.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 2:09am
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly27

O.K., I can never view anybody's attached pictures icon_cry.gif Does anyone else have this problem?

Yes. SOMETIMES .... if I come back to a thread a few days later, I can see the pic. Very frustrating.

Anyway .... I use (1) three cardboards wrapped together in decorative foil, or (2) Wooden boards that I've had cut to size at Lowe's (probably cheaper than 3 cardboards!).

Price it accordingly. The support board is as much a part of the "cost of ingredients" as your eggs and oil.

sammie192 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sammie192 Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 6:22am
post #11 of 15

sugarfrosted where did you find your plastic cake box?
thanks sammie icon_smile.gif

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 6:29am
post #12 of 15

SugarFrosted -- I thought I was so clever when I started using my upside down rubbermaid to hold my cakes!

PICTURES -- I get the red X more often than I get the picture. Sometimes if you refresh the page, the picture will come up. But I recently read on a thread to try right clicking on the picture then select "Show Picture". So far that has done the trick with only one or two tries.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 6:43am
post #13 of 15

They are Rubbermaid (or maybe Sterlite...I have some of each) storage boxes I have bought over the years. I think they have changed the design/style since then. The boxes are flipped so the lid becomes the base. I have about 15 large boxes (to fit a 12x18, or larger character cake) and maybe 10 small boxes (to fit a 9x13, or smaller character cake.) They were $4-$8 when I bought them. My husband cuts/sands the boards for me.

I should also mention that I have been using the Wilton 3in1 cake/cupcake carriers lately for the smaller sized cakes. Those have a very nice handle on top for one-handed carrying. My husband bought me 6 (SIX !) of them when I used the "50% off Unlimited ALL Wilton products" coupon from Michael's. I don't use a board for those.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 7:00am
post #14 of 15

I use cake drums (I buy them from Bakery crafts). I am too lazy to cut foamcore icon_biggrin.gif

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 7:59am
post #15 of 15

That's a great idea Sugar Frosted... I just wanted to add that I can be a "cheepy" for family cakes - any shipments I receive - "recycle" the cardboard. The boxes I get are great, sturdy & nobody ever seems to notice. I don't sell cakes on those, but it saves a bit of cost for family cakes going out of the house - my family members are sug-a-holics =)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%