Aoc - I'm So Getting Flamed For This....

Decorating By CakeMakar Updated 10 Oct 2008 , 2:24pm by FromScratch

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 8:50pm
post #31 of 43

MMM, I love Buca di Beppos too!

Regarding Ace of Cakes, I thought those little cakes were a bit messy too. And the big cake that went with it, the fondant ribbon was broken in the back.

I see a lot of mistakes on their cakes, but really the show is more about their personalities than anything. Have you seen Amazing Wedding Cakes? A lot of it is painful to watch what with the bickering, whining, and complaining. I would never work at any of those shops, the owners are awful! I would sweep the floors of Duff's shop any day!

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 8:50pm
post #32 of 43

oops, double post.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 9:06pm
post #33 of 43
Quote:
Quote:

I am convinced that most of what we see is staged stuff for TV only. You have to think that they follow more strict guidelines when they are making cakes for public consumption. I mean.. how boring would it be to just watch people crumb coat cakes? Not as much fun as it is to watch them have a food fight while they do it.

Even if it is staged for t.v. a lot of it is inappropriate. I've stated before that I find Paula Deen's antics repulsive. I've watched her double-dip more times than I care to admit. I just don't think it makes for good t.v. --however, I am admitting that I keep going back so I guess "the joke's on me."

On another forum like this one some time back, someone stated those cakes are not real... dummies made just for the show (and they do end up in background shots later on) but that still does not make some of the stuff they do appealing.

All that being said, Duff showed up in Louisville at an event not long ago and a friend shared his pictures with me. He was allowed to get right up close and view the cake before it was revealed to the public. The cake, IMHO is unimpressive (aires this week on AOC --the Big Leowski Cake.) HOWEVER, my friend just happened to be there when the vans rolled up and he and his wife were treated like old friends (even though no one knew them from Adam!) So, I guess it's little things like royal treatment of strangers,etc. that make the difference and is impressive. I think Duff was in the right place at the right time and knew the right people, but I don't get the impression he's gotten the big head, even though he has the big checkbook. Who among us would not grab onto those kite strings and ride?

charmcitycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charmcitycakes Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 4:31pm
post #34 of 43

Hi Guys - I just wanted to clarify that what you see on TV is highly edited. The small cakes they showed on the show close up were Erica's test cakes, to try out different color palettes and decide how they were going to be decorated. It made me upset, too, because they were not a finished product but they were made to look like it. A lot of times what gets shown on the TV show is out of context, and there is nothing we can do about it but read lots of angry emails. It really makes me sad.

The "frosting fight" in the kitchen was very amusing, and the tv crew decided not to show our staff switching spatulas and washing the ones they used to put icing on each other's arms. Again, there is nothing I can do but watch in horror as the show makes it looks like we're being totally unsanitary. But in fact, we are. No one used the same spatulas to continue icing.

It's hard for me not to want to answer every accusation about us because I am proud to work here and yes, a bit defensive of my friends, but please know that if nothing else we run a VERY clean shop - and what you see on TV is six days that they have edited into twenty-four minutes. There is a lot of washing and cleaning you don't see.

We never claim to be the best cake makers in the world. The cakes on the Cake Central gallery are absolutely amazing, and I look at them with awe and amazement at ALL the talented decorators all over the country. All I ask is that you take what you see on TV with a giant grain of salt, and know that we are a hard working bunch of folks who love to do the same thing you do.

With Love,

Mary Alice Yeskey
Manager | Charm City Cakes

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 4:44pm
post #35 of 43

Kentucky Win, You are so right. Duff does have a great attitude as does his staff.

I got into a conversation with my hubby last night concerning all the warnings and unnecessary steps that we in America are forced to take do to others irresponsible idiotic actions.

Here is an example. the warning son curling irons and hair dryers. "DO NOT USE WHILE IN THE SHOWER OR BATH" I think these sorts of warnings are ridiculous. These warnings should be removed so that we weed out those who dont have enough sense to do these types of things. I know it is mean but com eone now do you want those people reproducing???? icon_mad.gif
Now with that in mind lets think of AOC and the icing fight episode this week. It is for show I get that. Its entertainment but in this instance people should be smart enough to know that in a responsible kitchen they should not have reused those spatulas before sanitizing them. Double dipping does gross me out on cooking shows because it grosses me out in any instance. Again people should be aware that the double dipping that goes on on the show is for the show, for only that personalities use anyway in most cases, and they should not do it at home BUT again I think adding ridiculous warnings to cooking or cake decor shows telling people that this was a fake cake not used for sonsumption or only the personality consumed the foods on thsi episode or the like is ridiculous too.

Amazing wedding cakes makes me laugh. They are so uptight. Especially that gal in New York with the sweet pea cake. Good God almighty the bride and groom are getting married they will not be staring intently on those darned little flowers. Can we all say Anal Retentive?
AOC creations used to be very clean lined and very accurate thanks to the amazing Geoff!!! THings are becoming less completed or they are actually showing the unfinished cake and then splicing the tape together in the wrong order and so we are seeing the unfinished cake and then suddenly it is being delivered. I would think they would touch it up on sight but one could only hope. I would hate to see Duff go. You just cant help to love them.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 5:01pm
post #36 of 43

Thanks for clarifying that Mary Alice! I was shocked that it would be done, much less shown on TV! I kept thinking there was a way around it but couldn't see one.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 5:24pm
post #37 of 43

Yay! Mary Alice to the rescue of the reputation! lol icon_smile.gif

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 5:27pm
post #38 of 43

You are so cool Mary Alice.

I love the show and learn tons from watching. I may never be as good as others on CC or all of the articts at Charm City but I have fun learning and getting better.

Thanks for checking in and making things clear how tv works.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 5:52pm
post #39 of 43

I have heard in the past that Duff is extremely aware of sanitary conditions. Steam cleaning van interiors, etc.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 8:13pm
post #40 of 43

See.. thanks Mary Alice for clarifying. I would feel the same need to defend my friends too.

I have always thought a show about the monotony of bakery life would last about 2 seconds.. icon_lol.gif.. I'm glad to have it put out there by someone who lives it 6 days a week.

edited for a typo.. icon_smile.gif

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 5:35am
post #41 of 43

Mary Alice I loved your shirts on the Big Lebowski episode. icon_wink.gif

Sweettooth1120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweettooth1120 Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 1:34pm
post #42 of 43

Mary Alice- thanks for the clarification, altought its sad that you had to explain that. I think we should all understand that most of what you see on tv is edited to grab the attention of the audience in one way or another. As for the show, I will continue to watch because I do get inspired by what you guys put out there. If you ever need help, I am only in Frederick (and yes that was a shameless plug for myself. icon_lol.gif )

Hey to Duff and the rest of the gang.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 2:24pm
post #43 of 43

Hell.. I'm in NH and I'd come help too. icon_wink.gif Baltimore ain't THAT far. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%