Need Good Chocolate And White Cake Recipes!! Help!

Baking By lm499 Updated 26 Aug 2011 , 5:02am by cake_lover228

lm499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lm499 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 5:44pm
post #1 of 13

I need something that can be decorated! icon_smile.gif

12 replies
mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 6:14pm
post #2 of 13

My all time favorite white cake is the WASC (I have used all of the variations, but I don't like the chocolate - all others are great).

They are moist and delicious, but dense enough for fondant, carving and stacking.

Here is the recipe...http://www.recipezaar.com/69630

As for chocolate, I like Scott Wooley's cake recipe. It is on the forums here. If you would like me to send it to you, just PM me.

HTH icon_biggrin.gif

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 8:49pm
post #3 of 13
ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 10:53pm
post #4 of 13

Here is a link to a great tweaked version of the Scott Woolley recipe http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-52587-30.html. It's fabulous!

The Rebecca Rather/Pastry Queen White-on-White buttermilk cake is outstanding, I've never tasted a yummier white cake, although the Sylvia Weinstock yellow cake is a close second.
RR http://www.bakespace.com/recipes/detail/White-on-White-Buttermilk-Cake-with-Jack-Daniels-Buttercream/7175/
SW http://homecooking.about.com/od/cakerecipes/r/blc13.htm

Of course you will generally see nothing but rave reviews for the WASC so if you like using a box, it's a keeper. If you use flavored (liquid) coffee creamer in place of some of the liquid, you can achieve some really neat flavors.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 3:04am
post #5 of 13

Bashini, I so want to try that chocolate cake but being from the states I have a couple of questions I hope can be answered by someone at least!

Is the plain chocolate a bar of chocolate?

Is vanilla essence the same as vanilla extract?

Plain flour = all purpose?

About how many cups does this make? !0 eggs tells me it must make a lot!

I can't wait to have an excuse to try this cake.

Ceshell, does the white cake you linked rise well & fluffy or is it a dense cake & not as tall?

ceshell Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 4:31am
post #6 of 13

dandelion, well that is a tough question to answer, haha. Although I've never seen anyone else with this problem, I actually have a bit of a sinking problem w/that cake, so I can't exactly say I've ever gotten it "rising high" (that's a whole 'nother thread though). I bake it in 3 layers as written.

BUT other than that, it's actually light and fluffy. It's very moist, flavorful, and light but also rich and buttery (if that makes sense). Definitely not dense like the WASC. It's very "melt in your mouth." When I first made it, after trying several other denser recipes like WASC and a few scratch ones I can't recall, I'll never forget one gal (who'd had several other of my cakes) who just flipped over it, and who commented "This cake is really different from your other cakes, they are usually denser aren't they?" I made it for her baby shower and she raved to me "This is the most delicious cake I have ever eaten!" Made it again for her baby's 1st birthday and got the same comments from several guests at the party. It's gooood. Pair it with some pastry cream and raspberry puree, ice with IMBC and you might just keep it for yourself.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 9:11am
post #7 of 13

dandelion, I'll try to answer all your questions. icon_smile.gif

Plain chocolate is dark chocolate/ cooking chocolate. Here we have it in 100g or 200g slabs.

Vanilla essence is not the same as Vanilla extract. But you can use Vanilla extract.

Yes, Plain flour is All Purpose Flour.

It says that you can get 50 servings from this. So you can use a 12" round cake tin or 11" square tin. That is according to my serving chart.

You might be able to cut down the recipe in half and try. But I haven't done it with this recipe. I have done it with some other recipes though.

HTH.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 1:18pm
post #8 of 13

Thanks gals, I'll be trying them both as soon as I get the chance

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 1:35pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

Here is a link to a great tweaked version of the Scott Woolley recipe http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-52587-30.html. It's fabulous!

The Rebecca Rather/Pastry Queen White-on-White buttermilk cake is outstanding, I've never tasted a yummier white cake, although the Sylvia Weinstock yellow cake is a close second.
RR http://www.bakespace.com/recipes/detail/White-on-White-Buttermilk-Cake-with-Jack-Daniels-Buttercream/7175/
SW http://homecooking.about.com/od/cakerecipes/r/blc13.htm

Of course you will generally see nothing but rave reviews for the WASC so if you like using a box, it's a keeper. If you use flavored (liquid) coffee creamer in place of some of the liquid, you can achieve some really neat flavors.

do you find that the white on white cake is a little too delicate?

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 4:16pm
post #10 of 13

WHile I love the WASC, I will have to try this white cake recipe.... I do get people saying it is a very dense cake... might give it a try!!!

ceshell Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 11:27pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAKIA6

do you find that the white on white cake is a little too delicate?

You know what's funny, is that once the white on white cools down (or after I freeze it overnight) I don't find it too delicate at all. Mind you I DID break a layer once icon_rolleyes.gif but it was easily repaired with icing. Its fragile period is really in the handling of the still-warm or newly room-temperature cake. I am quite gentle with it while wrapping it to freeze. I can't remember if I've ever used it without a trip to the freezer first so I can't advise if that is what prevents it from being too fragile, but generally speaking, even the recipe states "fragile when warm," not "too fragile to ___" (fill in the blank).

I have done at least three stacked cakes with that recipe, always 3 layers per tier, and never had issues with the assembled cakes. Most recently, due to a shrinkage problem I'd not yet overcome, I had to carve the cake a bit to restore its shape, and it carved just fine (again, after freezing.) I'm not advocating carving it into a car shape or anything, but the point is, once it was cooled and frozen, it wasn't afraid of my serrated knife.

I will say this though, I tried cupcakes with this recipe and they were a complete disaster.

oneautie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oneautie Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 12:17am
post #12 of 13

Hi i'm new at this.I just made a white cake,it was moist,but very,very heavy.
The texture reminded me of a heavy went sponge. What in the world
did I do wrong??(( help ))

cake_lover228 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_lover228 Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 5:02am
post #13 of 13

Thanks bashini for link.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%