Pricing For Chocolate Chip Cookies?

Business By chelley325 Updated 7 Oct 2008 , 2:41am by snarkybaker

chelley325 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelley325 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 5:36pm
post #1 of 7

I have only been doing cakes, but after someone saw me bring packaged chocolate chip cookies to a family function and tasting them, I got a request for a huge kids' birthday party (80+ people). I have figured out my cost per cookie based on my recipe, but am unsure how to price. Double cost? Other factors? The only thing that will take time aside from baking will be the packaging, but that's it. No decorating like sugar cookies. Also, she wants them packaged in twos and tied with a ribbon. So price per 2-cookie package? Or one price for the whole order? I'd love any help/guidance you all could share! Thank you! icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 11:42pm
post #2 of 7

Chelley---How large are your cookies?

chelley325 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 1:32am
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Guys

Chelley---How large are your cookies?

They are 4" in diameter, thick and chewy.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 1:41am
post #4 of 7

You can NOT price cookies based on the "times 2" or "times 3" theory (which I dont' use ... it would throw me into bankruptcy if I priced that way). My raw ingredients cost for making my chocolate cookies with peanut butter chips is about $0.83/dozen. "Times 3" would price them at less than $3 a dozen instead of the $6/dozen I get for them. As stated on my website, I charge $6/dozen for all of my drop cookies.....and that doesnt' include any individual packaging.

And my cookies are much smaller than yours.

Walk in Starbucks, Arby's, Subway, any fast food place that sells cookies and check out their pricing. They START at $0.79 each and go up to $2 each or more for cookies that size.

Dont' be afraid to charge market value for your time and effort.

chelley325 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 1:46am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

You can NOT price cookies based on the "times 2" or "times 3" theory (which I dont' use ... it would throw me into bankruptcy if I priced that way). My raw ingredients cost for making my chocolate cookies with peanut butter chips is about $0.83/dozen. "Times 3" would price them at less than $3 a dozen instead of the $6/dozen I get for them. As stated on my website, I charge $6/dozen for all of my drop cookies.....and that doesnt' include any individual packaging.

And my cookies are much smaller than yours.

Walk in Starbucks, Arby's, Subway, any fast food place that sells cookies and check out their pricing. They START at $0.79 each and go up to $2 each or more for cookies that size.

Dont' be afraid to charge market value for your time and effort.

Hi Indydebi, thank you so much for your input, it is much appreciated. I am so new at this! Do you have any recommendations on a starting point for pricing cookies like this, or what factors I should take into account?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 2:23am
post #6 of 7

You're not going to price compare with grocery store bakeries, most standard bakeries, or other "common" outlets for cookies. A 4" cookie, individually bagged like you're planning, is considered a 'gourmet' cookie and should be compared and priced against other gourmet cookies.

Now, I'll tell ya ... I resisted the term "gourmet cookie" for a long time. I didn't want to sound hoity-toity and I didnt' want to use the term just to make people think it SHOULD be an expensive cookie. I couldnt' find a good definition as to what made a cookie "gourmet". But I managed to get into some good conversation with fellow CC'ers when I first joined this site, and they helped me see the light and be comfortable with what I was offering in the cookie line! thumbs_up.gif

To be REAL honest, I set my pricing by checking cookie websites all over the country, by doing just what I said above ... walking into Subway, Arby's, Starbucks and seeing what their pricing was. When I set it at $6/dozen (or $0.69/each if buying less than 12), I thought it was kinda pricey! Imagine my surprise when people started responding with "$6??? Is that ALL?" icon_surprised.gif

http://www.davidscookies.com/index.cfm?action=product&productid=203 .... Approx $2 per cookie, includes shipping

If you have a really good cookie, they will pay it ... for that "gourmet" taste! icon_biggrin.gif

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 2:41am
post #7 of 7

Our cookies are 2.25 oz and $1.85 each. The monster cookies around town regularly hit $2. Nobody needs that much cookie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%