Fish/fishing Cake

Decorating By KBrennan805 Updated 7 Oct 2008 , 4:00pm by KBrennan805

KBrennan805 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 4:27pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all!
I have to make a grooms cake for Saturday and the bride wants it to look either like a bass (she sent me the attached picture) or is open to fishing-related options. I've done sculpted cakes w/ fondant before, but I've never done a fish!

If I do the bass...
1 - How do I make the fish's body rounded?
2 - How do I do the detail for the scales?
3 - How do I get the inside & outside of the mouth completely smooth?

If I suggest something else other than the bass (hopefully a little bit easier!), do you have any ideas/pictures?

Thank you so much for your help - This is a great site!

3 replies
DebraDough Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 4:46pm
post #2 of 4

I just did a fly fisherman's basket grooms cake and the bride told me she was more excited about giving her groom his cake than she was about her wedding cake. It was really a fun cake to make too. I have done fish cakes before too but never bothered to take pictures until I started on this site. I have really liked using gels for the scales. I hate to admit it but I have just bought the kind in the little tubes from the grocery store. I used BC first and then painted the scales on with different colors of gels. It gives the scales that slimey kind of look. As far as the rounded look I just layer and carve, layer and carve. I am sure you will get more ideas from other CCers soon. Good luck and blessings, DebraDough

Narie Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 4 This cake isn't bass but a rainbow trout. But a longer shape and different colors would create a Bass. Actually, this shape is more of bluegill than trout. Read the comments on this one. She give a lot of information on how she did this one.

Here's a good picture of a small mouth bass.

KBrennan805 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you so much for your help. If you have any other ideas for a different type of fishing-related cake, please don't hesitate to send them on over!
Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%