Country Hoe-Down 90Th B'day Party????

Decorating By uabcjgrad2006 Updated 8 Oct 2008 , 6:36pm by jammjenks

uabcjgrad2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uabcjgrad2006 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 10

I've scoured the picture galleries and I've just not found the perfect cake to "borrow." So now, I'm asking for help. It's for a surprise party for my grandfather who will be 90 years old next May. We're having raffia type decorations, old mason jars to drink out of--the "good old days" as he says (in the South). I've looked at "cowboy" themed stuff and everything seems childish...90th b'day (even 80th) b'day stuff seems so...well not suitable (we're not into the frilly flowers and all that). My grandfather is a WWII vet (has a purple heart and I've seen the purple heart cake but it's not going to fit the theme)...His favorite saying is "fine as frog hair", so I'd like to encorporate at least one frog... icon_smile.gif but it can be tiny, and hidden. Do any of you have any ideas you could share with me? I'm really at a loss. I thank you all in advance!!!!!

9 replies
chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 10

I just can't the visual picture of the Hee-Haw gang outta my head........

leahk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahk Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 4:45pm
post #3 of 10

Maybe an ivory buttercream with raffia wraped around the bottom of each tier. Then use each tier as a different time in his life and decorate it with things from that time period. You could then have the frog on top with the saying around it.
Hope this helps!

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 4:48pm
post #4 of 10

Possibly a "box cake?" Where the cake would be in the shape of a box and the decorations would appear in the box. Ex. a Purple Heart, a frog, other things that likes, his favortie magazine, a hometown newspaper, a golf ball, etc. (made in fondant, of course).

Just a thought to brainstorm with you.

Good luck, and please post a pick with what you chose.

Enjoy your day!
Karen icon_biggrin.gif

uabcjgrad2006 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 4:55pm
post #5 of 10

Karen, that's a cool idea...I'll see what I can come up with (design wise)...You know....what about a chest type of design with an open lid (i'll have to figure out how to logistically make that work--I'm not an engineer, ha ha!!!) and then stuff could be coming out of it... bless his heart, he doesn't read so that's not possible...but he LOVES wheel of fortune, is that not the funniest thing? HA! Anyway, I appreciate it, ladies keep 'em coming and if you have a picture you think matches, please attach it or send it to me, I'd love to see it too!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 5:40pm
post #6 of 10

How about my hay bale cake? You could adapt it by replacing the flowers with all the items Karen suggested.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1270002

uabcjgrad2006 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 5:01pm
post #7 of 10

WOW April--that cake is HUUUUUUUUGE!!!!! Did you use the "grass/fur" tip to do that and what color did you use for the hay? Did you mix the colors until they "looked right...?? That is certainly an option. IF I can attach a file, I'll show you what I've come up with, but I LOVE the haybale idea too, I can probably encorporate it in there, yeah?

careful, you may crick your neck looking at the attachment... icon_smile.gif

~H

jammjenks Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 5:05pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by uabcjgrad2006

WOW April--that cake is HUUUUUUUUGE!!!!! Did you use the "grass/fur" tip to do that and what color did you use for the hay? Did you mix the colors until they "looked right...?? That is certainly an option. IF I can attach a file, I'll show you what I've come up with, but I LOVE the haybale idea too, I can probably encorporate it in there, yeah?

careful, you may crick your neck looking at the attachment... icon_smile.gif

~H

Yes, ma'am. The whole thing was done with the grass tip. For some reason, the people in my area love to punish me by making me use that grass tip all the time. I used the Wilton brown paste color and just added the same amount to each batch of icing. I didn't know how many batches it would take me, so I made it as I went. I wasn't able to view your attachment, but I'll try again later. Sometimes it lets me if I wait a little bit.

uabcjgrad2006 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 5:24pm
post #9 of 10

your rose cupcakes on your website are beautiful! I can't pipe roses--of course the time I decide to "practice" is when I'm doing a cake and I don't have neither the time nor the extra icing. I think I need to take the day to play! icon_smile.gif If you can't access the attachment, I'd be happy to email it to you...but not until you say it ok to contact you outside CC... ~H thanks for the ideas!!!

jammjenks Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 6:36pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks for the compliments. You can email me anytime you want.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%