Best Type Cake To Use?

Decorating By wallysdee Updated 6 Oct 2008 , 11:53pm by kakeladi

wallysdee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wallysdee Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 2:52pm
post #1 of 3

I have heard that the best type cake to use is a pound cake (when you are decorating) cause it holds up the best. Is this true? I was told by someone that was told this by a actual cake place (they were doing her wedding cake) I am planning my childs first birthday and just found a really easy elephant cake I want to try. It is made out of 2 9X13 cakes and you just go from there. Also I want a really good tasking icing to use. I dont want to use fondate (sp?) Is the buttercream icing a good choice? Of course I will have to color it another color.
Thanks
Denise

2 replies
TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 3:54pm
post #2 of 3

Hi Denise!

The type of cake you need to use depends a lot on what you want to do with it. Pound cakes (or other dense, close-textured cakes) are good for projects that involve a lot of sculpting and need to hold detail. Most of the time (even when I'm doing small sculptures) I use regular ol' cake.

You don't have to use fondant on your cake. You can use buttercream if you want to. If you need specific help on the elephant cake you've chosen to make, please post a picture of it so that we make sure our advice is what you need.

Deanna

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 11:53pm
post #3 of 3

I'm sure where you live probably has a lot todo w/what typer of cake is used.
Many, many of us use boxed cake mixes for all kinds of decorated cakes.
Here is a great recipe that many, many of us use. It is a cross between a 'real' pound cake and a regular boxed cake mix.

Kakeladi's *Original* WASC recipe
1 box cake mix*
1 cup flour
1 cup granulated sugar
generous dash of salt

1 cup water*
1 cup sour cream*
3 whole eggs
1 tablespoon flavoring*

Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl. Best if you use a wire whisk.
PLace wet ingredients in KA mixer bowl. Add about 1/2 the dry ing. mix on low speed (#1) about 30 seconds until all is moistened. Add remaining dry ing and again mix on low (#1)about 30 seconds; beat on med (#5) for 2 minutes. (I have always timed the 2 minutes). Pour into prepared pan(s) and bake at 300 degrees temp -- amount of time depends on the size of the pan(s) -- until you smell it The amount of batter this recipe yields is the same as using 1 & 1/2 mixes.....perfect amount for a 9x13; OR 10" square; 12" round; two 8" rounds OR three 6" rounds. Others too but can't think of them right now.

*NOTES: I have used all different brands but prefere Betty Crocker.
Any flavor cake can be used. Match the flavoring to the cake flavor - ie: lemon cake w/lemon flavoring; etc. Most of the time I use a mixture of 1 part vanilla, 1/2 part butter flavor and 1/4 part almond. A part can be any measure you want....teaspoon, tablespoon, cup, quart etc. I keep this mixture on hand for all my baking -- including my icing. If you prefere more of a citrus flavor you can replace the almond w/lemon or orange extract.
Some people tell me they have used yogurt instead of sour cream........I haven't tried that.
Some people use milk, cream or juice for the liquid. I use water in a Pyrex cup...filling it to the brim so it's about 1 & 1/3 cups (?)
That's right.......there is NO oil or melted butter in this recipe.
Some people tell me they have used cake flour. I use all purpose.
Most of the time I forget to add the salt icon_sad.gif
Happy baking and decoratingicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%