How Do I Make A 1/2 Choc And 1/2 White Cake?

Decorating By lm499 Updated 7 Dec 2008 , 5:48pm by butterfly831915

lm499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lm499 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 1:55pm
post #1 of 16

Hi,

Any suggestions on a recipe for a white cake and a chocolate cake? I need to somehow make the sheet cake 1/2 and 1/2. How do I pour them in the pan? At the same time? This is for a birthday cake! Please help!

15 replies
chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 1:59pm
post #2 of 16

Cut a strip of food-safe cardboard and put in the middle of the pan. Carefully pour the chocolate batter in one half, and the white batter in the other. Take out the cardboard strip. Bake.

memascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
memascakes Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 2:10pm
post #3 of 16

I just pour the 2 batters into the pan at the same time (one right next to the other). It's worked just fine for me! :~)

Cindy

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 2:16pm
post #4 of 16

I roll up a towel and stick it under 1 end of the pan and pour the white batter in 1st then lay the pan flat and pour the choc batter in, they always meet in the middle ! Works awesome !

susies1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susies1955 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 2:17pm
post #5 of 16

Donna has a YOUTUBE video on how to do it:

Enjoy,
Susie

lm499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lm499 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 3:00pm
post #6 of 16

Thank you so much for the tips!!!! Any good recipes?

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 12:45am
post #7 of 16

Well, I am in the midst of making my first half and half. I remembered this post from a while ago and was glad I found it today. I really needed to see the video that was posted on here. My cake is baking and I'm hoping it comes out okay. I do scratch recipes. My chocolate batter is a thinner batter, while my white batter is a bit thicker and "flufflier". Will that cause any problems while baking. I suppose I should have asked this question before doing this. Anyway, it's 10 minutes into baking so another 30 or so to do. Keeping my fingers crossed and thanks for posting the YouTube video.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 12:58am
post #8 of 16

Its funny because when I saw that you said you used a towel I was thinking you stuck it inside the pan itself and thought how messy is that!!! Yah, blond moment! I watched the video and then the big DUH! hit me!

Trixyinaz Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 1:16am
post #9 of 16

Well, I am in the midst of making my first half and half. I remembered this post from a while ago and was glad I found it today. I really needed to see the video that was posted on here. My cake is baking and I'm hoping it comes out okay. I do scratch recipes. My chocolate batter is a thinner batter, while my white batter is a bit thicker and "flufflier". Will that cause any problems while baking. I suppose I should have asked this question before doing this. Anyway, it's 10 minutes into baking so another 30 or so to do. Keeping my fingers crossed and thanks for posting the YouTube video.

fiddlesticks Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 1:21am
post #10 of 16

Hey Vicky! Is it done yet ? It should of been fine as one batter is always higher then the other between choc and white flavor.

Trixyinaz Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 1:27am
post #11 of 16

hahahah....I just PM'd you. NO!!!! The chocolate cake is done, but the white cake is still not done...probably about 10 to 15 minutes away from being done!

Trixyinaz Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 1:30am
post #12 of 16

duplicate post....sorry!

Trixyinaz Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 1:33am
post #13 of 16

Okay, the cake is out of the oven. At 45 minutes, the chocolate cake tested totally done, but the white cake was still "wet" so I put it in for another 5 minutes and when that buzzer went off, I tested it and it was totally done. Well, that's according to the 10 or so toothpiks that I poked in it. They all came out clean so I'm hoping and praying it's done!

God, I hate done First Time cakes/deco. Too stressfull icon_lol.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 5:00pm
post #14 of 16

Hey Vicky ! How did the cake end up ?

Trixyinaz Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 5:27pm
post #15 of 16

It came out okay. The white sunk a little, but tasted good. It seems to be a denser cake than my chocolate. I just leveled the cake and it is measuring 1-1/2 inches tall. I'm a bit ticked about that. I should have just did the WASC for the white cake

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 5:48pm
post #16 of 16

I have done he towel thing and I've done the cardboard thing. I have had the same issues as Trixyinaz had with 1/2 being done before the other, can anyone suggest anything to help me on this part? I hate wasting cake, believe it or not, I like to bake cakes, decorate cakes, but eating them is not one of my favorite. I'm odd but at least then I don't eat my mess ups. I am trying to lose weight and I would probably mess up on purpose just to say, well can't waste that. LOL...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%