Filling Cupcake Cups More Cleanly?

Baking By Tisha___ Updated 5 Dec 2008 , 7:02pm by loves2bake

Tisha___ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tisha___ Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 1:45pm
post #1 of 17

Are there any special tricks to filling cupcake cups w/ the batter, so that it doesn't get everywhere.

I've tried funnels, I've tried piping bags, I've tried an ice cream scoop, I've tried just pouring it from the bowl, and I end up making a huge mess every time.

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tisha

16 replies
shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 1:51pm
post #2 of 17

sorry you have so much trouble. i have been using ice cream scoop and it has been working great. i just finished making pumpkin cupcakes this morning, scoop worked great. these were a little on thicker batter, so that helps.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 1:52pm
post #3 of 17

I would have thought the piping bags would solve this problem. I use the ice cream scoop method myself.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 1:53pm
post #4 of 17

get a smaller ice cream scoop. I have a large one and I have tried only filling it half way and that works ok but if you have a smaller one you can hold it right over the whole cupcake liner and it plops straight down in there, make sure it's one with the little metal scraper thing inside that scrapes it out when you push the button.

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 2:02pm
post #5 of 17

hm, well you already mentioned what I was going to say! I had success with the piping bags, but I've went back to just pouring it from the bowl. You just have to be very careful and take your time. I use a spoon to help the batter out & to stop the batter from coming out.

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 2:05pm
post #6 of 17

I use a medium size scoop for my cupcakes. It fills them perfectly. I also have a small scoop for the mini size cupcakes. I still get a little drip every now and then, but no longer the huge mess.

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abslu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abslu Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 4:23pm
post #8 of 17

I learned this trick from the Hello Cupcake book. I take a large ziplock bag and fill it (it usually takes me 2 fills to get the full amount of batter distributed) then snip the tip of the bag and use that like a large piping bag to fill the cups! You can make the hole smaller so you can avoid overfilling!!

bchristianson17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bchristianson17 Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 5:54am
post #9 of 17

I've found that a turkey baster works best for me. You can squeeze out how much you need, and stop the batter from coming out easier too! Works great! icon_lol.gif

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 6:03am
post #10 of 17

I use a 1/3 cup measuring cup to fill muffin tins. Some sticks to the cup, so it ends up being more like 1/4 cup batter per indent - about perfect, if you ask me.

Tisha___ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tisha___ Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 1:22am
post #11 of 17

I can't believe it's been a month since I posted this.

The turkey baster idea is GREAT! Thanks, everyone.

So far, the thing I've found that works for me, is to hold the paper cup in the palm of my hand, fill it, then slip it into the cupcake pan. It's worked like a charm so far. But, I think I might try the turkey baster too, now.

dessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dessert1st Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 11:06am
post #12 of 17

Hmmm, Haven't tried it yet, but what about one of these:

Wow, sorry that's sooooo BIG!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 11:41am
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sltoklahoma

sorry you have so much trouble. i have been using ice cream scoop and it has been working great. i just finished making pumpkin cupcakes this morning, scoop worked great. these were a little on thicker batter, so that helps.

Same here..I use a number 10 disher and it works perfect every time!

rocketmom1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketmom1985 Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 4:49pm
post #14 of 17

I recall in a cupcake book I was paging thru at the bookstore, they used a ziplock plastic bag like a piping bag and cut a corner...much to much work for me...I use a gravy ladle...I just swipe the drips if any off with a paper towel.

rocketmom1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketmom1985 Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 5:05pm
post #15 of 17

I recall in a cupcake book I was paging thru at the bookstore, they used a ziplock plastic bag like a piping bag and cut a corner...much to much work for me...I use a gravy ladle...I just swipe the drips if any off with a paper towel.

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 10:22pm
post #16 of 17

I have a 1/4" measuring cup that has a pour spout. Works like a charm for me. I dip it in the batter and take my spatula along the side to wipe off the batter, then pour it into the liner. I don't let anyone use this measuring cup for anything. LOL!
Good luck in finding something that works for you.

loves2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loves2bake Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 7:02pm
post #17 of 17

I use a 4 cup measuring cup. I just pour the batter into the cup right from the mixing bowl and pous into cupcake pan. I've found that is I spray the pan with Pam first, any batter spills wipe right off. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%