How To Adjust Pricing And Servings For Taller Cakes???

Decorating By steffla Updated 6 Oct 2008 , 2:31pm by -K8memphis

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 1:19pm
post #1 of 8

Hi again! I usually do two layer cakes with filling or torted with filling that come to about 3-4 inches high. When a customer wants a taller cake which would require 3 layers of cake, how do you adjust pricing and servings?

According to earlenes chart, a 10 inch round is 30 servings but what would it be with 3 cake layers making it over 5 inches and probably near 6 inches high? Trying to adjust my price and usually charge per serving. Thanks for your help!!!

7 replies
TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 1:23pm
post #2 of 8

I'd be interested to know too, because how do you cut a cake smaller than 1 inch wide for a 6 inch tall cake??

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 1:41pm
post #3 of 8

I came here hoping the question was answered! I, too, would love to know! This is true too with the topsy-turvy cakes! (Which I have an order for in May!)

icon_smile.gif

gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 1:50pm
post #4 of 8

me too, I want to know. I would assume that you would price it as if it were a 10 inch round and a six inch round. That would probably equal the same amount of cake?

Here is a cake matrix I have been using and it tells exactly how much batter per cake used.

Just hit the download button. It also calculates the amount you should charge for the cake.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 1:56pm
post #5 of 8

Here's what I do.......I have a wedding coming up with this same quandry, only they want one layer to be a thin layer. When they want just one layer torted to equal a 2" tall layer instead of a 4" layer, I halve the servings...so in your case I would take that 30 serving 10" cake and add half of the servings to it to equal 45 servings and since I charge by the serving it works out perfectlly. Then I would just let them know that they will have to adjust their serving sizes when cutting to account for the extra height as well if they intend to get the right amount of servings from the cake.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 2:15pm
post #6 of 8

your taller tiers wont actually serve more people, the serving size will be larger on the plate. so the perserving charge would be higher. and charge like Khalstead says.

TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 2:27pm
post #7 of 8

Ahh, Sweetcakes, that makes sense. Thank you.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 2:31pm
post #8 of 8

Cake plates often do not accomodate a 6" tall slice of cake. I think a skilled cake server would serve two 3" tall servings out of an overly tall serving. That's what I would do.

Also that's why I use the amount of batter (minus any sculpting) as my 'serving guide'. I tell brides that their server needs to serve approximately a cup cake size piece of cake plus the fillings to hit the mark or order more for cutting larger servings.

For example 5-6 cups of batter is approximately 24 servings (8" cake-wilton chart). Give or take for odd shapes--I mean I err on the side of extra batter but that's how I do it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%