Cake Flavor To Go With Key Lime Buttercream?

Decorating By messy_chef Updated 8 Oct 2008 , 4:50pm by sweettoothmom

messy_chef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messy_chef Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 1:16pm
post #1 of 16

Any suggestions? I have made coconut cake with it before but am looking for something new. TIA!

15 replies
kakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedecorator Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 1:46pm
post #2 of 16

What about a key lime cake. I had a bride request a key lime cake for her wedding cake. It tasted wonderful. I found the recipe in "The Cake Doctor".

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 1:48pm
post #3 of 16

Lemon cake or white I think. Banana cake? Mango.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 1:49pm
post #4 of 16

I often do a lime cake with raspberry filling covered with dark chocolate butter frosting.

What about a coconut cake with either mango or passionfruit filling?

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 1:52pm
post #5 of 16

I think a light orange sponge

amazinggracecakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amazinggracecakedesigns Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 1:52pm
post #6 of 16

I agree with the lemon flavor. How do you make key lime buttercream? (if you don't mind sharing).

Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 5:14pm
post #7 of 16

How about a margarita cake? Do you have the recipe for Key Lime buttercream? If so would you share? Thanks. icon_biggrin.gif

messy_chef Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 8:18pm
post #8 of 16

Wow! Thanks for all the suggestions. I just use my normal bc recipe but add a few drops of Key Lime Lorann Oil to it. How do I make margarita cake?

The lime/raspberry/choc. combo sounds really good. I might try some of those in cupcake form. I want to use the key lime BC for this particular cake because I need it to stay light in color. Maybe white cake with raspberry filling would work...

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 8:44pm
post #9 of 16

I haven't tried a cake but have made margarita cupcakes with tequila for some of the liquid and lots of lime zest and some juice. I've used some margarita mix also.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 8:53pm
post #10 of 16

I love ginger snap cookies used in the crust for key lime pie--to die for good --so just another key lime pairing thought--ginger.

messy_chef Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 9:33pm
post #11 of 16

Interesting thought on the ginger. How would you incorporate the flavor- ground ginger, candied?

Do you guys think I could do a WASC variation with margarita mix replacing all of the liquid?

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 9:36pm
post #12 of 16

Does anyone have a graham cracker cake recipe? This would be good with Key lime BC.
Perhaps maybe a spice cake. or pecan/ walnut cake.
Strawberry cake, chocolate pound cake. OH OH maybe Tomato soup cake.
Well that is more bloody mary than margarita like. but hey it could work well together.

The choc raspberry lime mix chutzpah makes my mouth water!!! thumbs_up.gif

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 4:19pm
post #13 of 16

Brown butter rum cake - I found a brown butter cake recipe on the internet and added a little rum extract (you could also use real rum).

I made this with a lime filling for my friends wedding - YUM

sweettoothmom Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 4:52pm
post #14 of 16

dinas27,
would it be possible to have the brown butter rum cake Pm'd to me?

It sounds lucious thumbs_up.gif

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 5:13pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettoothmom

dinas27,
would it be possible to have the brown butter rum cake Pm'd to me?

It sounds lucious thumbs_up.gif

I was looking for the recipe but can't find it right now, but you can actually use your own butter cake recipe.

Using unsalted butter melt it in a pot and toast it carefully so that it does not burn, it should be a nice brown color with dark brown bits of milk solids and smell wonderful. Let cool and solidify and use in your recipe, I think I added about a tsp of rum extract but that would depend on your recipe quantity. I also prefer to use brown sugar instead of white.

The recipe I have I don't let it harden, just add it like oil in some recipes, however I think I would prefer the texture in my regular buttercake recipe, by creaming the toasted butter and sugar. I only tried the recipe a few times, it still needs to be tweaked a little. For my friends wedding I did it gluten free so I experimented more with that! I will look for my hard copy of the recipe when I get home tonight.

sweettoothmom Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 4:50pm
post #16 of 16

Thanks Dina27. I will watch for that recipe and I am going to try the version you mentioned here too. It sounds scrumptious

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%