Ka Mixer Turmoil

Decorating By Kay_NL Updated 6 Oct 2008 , 1:12pm by Kitagrl

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 12:17pm
post #1 of 9

I say turmoil in a joking matter, but here's my situation:

I purchased a Kitchenaid Ultra Power stand mixer in February for $372 (taxes included). I LOVE it, but find it a bit small for my usage sometimes.

The Kitcheaid Pro, with the bowl that raises up, is going on sale at Costco next week for $338 (taxes included) and I can't stop wanting it.

I would love to sell my smaller one to get the larger one, but not sure if it is worth the loss of money. I have no idea what to charge for my used one. I use it on average twice a week for cake batters and have made fondant in in once. So it is used, but hardly, and I have no idea how to put a price on such an item!

Should I make the change, and if so, how much to charge for my first KA... Thoughts and opinions more than welcomed!!

8 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 12:26pm
post #2 of 9

Why not keep it (I love having a second mixer around) and buy a refurbished one from the Kitchenaid outlet....

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 12:29pm
post #3 of 9

WOW! I wished you lived closer, I would buy it from you. I have the KA mixer (the regular one) and I am thinking of buying a second one for larger orders and just to have a spare in case.

Whatever you sell yours for has to be less than what the sale price would be.

I saw one person selling one for $375.00 (used) and it was on sale at another store for $275.00. It was definitely a head shaker.

Have a wonderful day! icon_smile.gif
Karen

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 12:32pm
post #4 of 9

FYI
There is a terrific sale on Kitchen Aid mixers/accessories at Kohls.com. If you use your Kohls credit card, there's an additional discount. I just ordered a 6 qt KA replacement bowl for $33!! I just love shopping from home!
(Kohls is an east coast USA department store.)

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 12:34pm
post #5 of 9

I have 2--I love having the extra one. I will mix cake batter in one and frosting in the other.

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 12:44pm
post #6 of 9

Assuming you want to buy a bigger KA and don't want to keep the other one....

Don't be too fast to undervalue your KA! Go on eBay and see what they're going for, but only compare yours to the new, like-new, or gently used ones. If you're not familiar with eBay you'd be surprised what people will pay for things. I have sat in total surprise and befuddlement at the prices that I see when I know I could order online or buy an item elsewhere for less. If you aren't an eBay user then the process of buying and selling might seem a little daunting. There's a great tutorial on there that really helps.

Another option is craiglist, specific in your area. See if there are some listed on there and what they are going for. It's free to list your item. Clean it up really well and list it as like-new or very gently used. If you just bought it in February and you haven't abused it or dropped it (which we all know no self-respecting CC'r would ever do!!) then it's really not all that used.

I bought my 6qt Pro-Series 600 KA on eBay, brand new, in the box for $295, including shipping. It doesn't make sense that there are such deals at the same time as there are ones being sold for much more, but that's the way it happens on eBay.

Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 12:44pm
post #7 of 9

I'm just not sure if I can handle the cost of a new one right now, without recouping some of the money by selling my other. I hope to someday have 2, but right now I'm okay with just 1.

I live in Canada, so I'm not sure what shopping, shipping and duty are like. There are many many sites that don't sell to Canadians.

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 12:57pm
post #8 of 9

There are lots of Canadian sellers on eBay! Give it a shot, it's worth your time if you really need a larger KA. I have never regretted buying my 6qt. Although it takes up more counter space and looks huge compared to the regular sized ones, it's worth every penny!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 1:12pm
post #9 of 9

6qt is the best.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%