Help With Ideas For Clever Cake Stands

Decorating By onegr8girl Updated 7 Oct 2008 , 2:46am by bobwonderbuns

onegr8girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onegr8girl Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 6:44am
post #1 of 6

I'm doing a cake for a fall themed wedding in a few weeks and I'm trying to think of some interesting ways to display a cake. I used clear thick plexiglass from tap plastics on some cubes for elevation one time that looked great. I was thinking a nice thick cut from a tree would make an interesting cake stand. Does anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks!

5 replies
dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 9:53am
post #2 of 6

I'm just a hobbyist, and I'm doing a family wedding in a few weeks. I considered a tree slab, too, and here's a post on the topic:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-591793-tree.html

I actually ended up with a wrought iron stand, on which I'll sit a covered masonite board. It's sort of rustic, and goes well with the fall colors with black accents of the wedding. It's nice and sturdy, and I don't think I'll have any problems, so long as I use a very strong plate base, like masonite. Here's that link:

http://tinyurl.com/4852br

They also have a 16.5 inch diameter one, too.

TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 1:21pm
post #3 of 6

if you have a hollow plexiglass cube to put underneath the cake board, you could fill it with real or matching fondant/gumpaste leaves and/or acorns. Thats a nice picture in my head.

onegr8girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onegr8girl Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 10:24pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks Dawn! I bought both to add to my offerings for my clients. Any other ideas? You guys are some of the most creative people I know. Not even just thinking about fall cakes, I'm thinking about ALL cakes!

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 2:30am
post #5 of 6

Glad I could help! I thought the prices on those stands were very good. And, they come packed extremely well, too.

It's nice to have an option other than the silver plateaus, which just don't suit the theme or style of more informal and rustic weddings. It also gives some height to the cake and makes it a real focus of the display. I'll post photos in few weeks, provided I don't have a cake disaster along the way!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 2:46am
post #6 of 6

So many cool options out there! I'll be looking forward to what others have to say! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%