So Many Bubbles In My Antonia74 Icing?

Baking By giraffe11 Updated 9 Oct 2008 , 11:51am by TracyLH

giraffe11 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 4:55am
post #1 of 6

I have been using the Cookie Craft icing recipes for a while, but wanted to try Antonia74's, b/c it is so popular here. I got way too many bubbles though........very tiny and no way to pop them all. How do other people deal with this issue? Or maybe they don't get so many?
Maybe I should let the icing sit for awhile after thinning?
Thanks for any suggestions.
Heather

5 replies
redpanda Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 5:18am
post #2 of 6

Letting the icing sit, covered, for about 15-20 minutes should help. I use a different royal icing recipe, but I have noticed that two things help to reduce the number of bubbles forming--slow speed for mixing, and if hand-mixing, being careful to keep the stirring spatula against the bottom of the bowl, not lifting it up out of the icing.

Once I have colored/thinned the icing, I let it stand for a while, pounding the bowl bottom onto the table a couple of times every five minutes or so to encourage the bubbles to rise.

HTH

giraffe11 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 12:31pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks redpanda! I am having so much fun with trying new recipes from CC.
Heather

antonia74 Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 2:44am
post #4 of 6

After thinning it, I suggest leaving it for at least an hour with a very slightly damp (wrung-out) tea-towel overtop of the mixing bowl. When I can, I even make up the icing the night before, put the towel overtop & cover the entire bowl with a plastic grocery bag.

The next morning, the icing is completely smooth like glass and ready to tint/pipe.

giraffe11 Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 3:21am
post #5 of 6

Ah....advice from the master, herself! icon_biggrin.gif
Thanks for the tip. I will try this again. I really liked the taste of the cookies with the new icing, they just didn't look so hot! icon_rolleyes.gif
I am making cookies next week for friend's wedding anniversary, so I'll give it a go then.
Thanks, Heather

TracyLH Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 11:51am
post #6 of 6

I let mine sit as well and also run a knife through it to help release the bubbles. I also tap the bowl to 'encourage' more to come to the surface.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%