I Am So Angry I Could Cry!!!!!

Business By Michele01 Updated 6 Oct 2008 , 6:34pm by FromScratch

Michele01 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 2:36am
post #1 of 7

Yesterday was the day of hell for me. I had a cake to deliver yesterday morning, and my husband was so sweet to help me out. He put gas in the van, put the seats down in the back, placed the sheet and skid mats on the floor, and then entered the address to the venue in my gps. Very sweet and meant well. Well.......he entered the address to the bride and grooms house, not the venue. I actually left earlier then I should, thank god. We'll it took 38 minutes to get to the venue, which gave me 20 minutes to drag everything in, and place the seashells on my cake. I got it done and everyone loved it. So yes, it turned out good. Then we go to my husband's Aunt's wedding. Mind you it's her 3rd wedding. She knows I make cakes, but had someone else do the cake. icon_mad.gif Which made me not want to go, since everyone knows I do cake. My bil and husband's cousin asked if I did the cake, and I gave them a look. I almost didn't go, since I can be bitter. lol. It's all because her husband asked me to make a company christmas party cake 2 years ago. He told me to charge whatever I wanted. Well I made a premium flavor sixteen inch round that I made the logo of the company in fondant. I think I charged like close to $200.00 for it. I didn't just make up the price though, I researched what other bakers were charging for company party cakes. Oh well I guess. Now comes the icing on the cake...........

When I woke up this morning I realized that my company magnet sign was off of my van. I asked my husband if he took them off to wash the car, and he said no. We looked all over the car and realized that someone STOLE.......one of my magnet signs. icon_evil.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif I have had them for almost 2 years. Who would do such a stupid thing!!! Sorry, thanks for letting me vent. What else could go wrong?

6 replies
chutzpah Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 4:00am
post #2 of 7

What a crappy day.

I'll bet your aunt didn't ask you to make the cake because she wanted you to fully enjoy the party, instead of futzing around with cake stuff all day.

Either way, is her wedding cake really worth getting all bent out of shape for?

indydebi Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 4:08am
post #3 of 7

It's rare that we cakers get to actually be a guest at a wedding. When I get the chance, I LUV being able to just mingle and enjoy the party with everyone else, instead of looking hot and sweaty from working in the kitchen.

You want people to order their cakes from you because they WANT to, because your cakes are the best .... not because they're afraid of venturing into the arena of "you better ask her to do the cake or she'll get all pi$$y about it!" I dont' want to emotionally blackmail family into ordering cake from me ... I want them to WANT to order from me.

I'm confused on why she wouldn't order a cake from you because you made one for her hubby's office? icon_confused.gif Was she thinking you were trying to hit on him via a cake or something?

That is pretty crappy about your sign, though! Why would someone steal a sign that they can never use? Can't figure the thinking of some folks, I guess!

Deb_ Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 4:35am
post #4 of 7

Yeah I agree with chutzpah and indy......michele don't let this non-cake order aunt get you down. I'm sure when she marries #4 you'll be considered tapedshut.gificon_evil.gificon_twisted.gificon_lol.gif

I get this from my cakes and my main career (hairstylist). It used to bother me if a relative or friend didn't order a cake or get a haircut from me. But, than I realized that I won in the end, because I always felt like I needed to cut the price for them. In the end they always come back to where they get the best cakes and the best haircuts. icon_rolleyes.gif

Sorry about your magnet sign, I hope it just fell off somewhere near your house and someone may find it and call you.

Go have a nice nightcap and don't let this eat at you any longer icon_smile.gif

sweettoothmom Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 4:34pm
post #5 of 7

icon_eek.gif Is she a flesh and blood aunt? Have you done her weddings in the past for her?

Come now all you can do is realize family just like everyone else has the right to make BAD CHOICES!!! HA HA HA HA It sounds like this aunt made a bad choice. No ones cake could possibly be as good as yours especially since your heart would have been in this one due to your relationship to one another.

icon_mad.gif THose d*mned magnet sign thiefs. Mine were taken off and placed all crazy on my vehicle everytime I parked it anywhere. It was so irritating. THem one day gone! all gone. Go with vinyl lettering placed on the windows by a pro.

OhMyGanache Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 5:10pm
post #6 of 7

Those magnets will occasionally fly off while driving. The site I ordered mine from had a little disclaimer that it does happen and they were not responsible if it did (in case it caused an accident or something).

As for your aunt, I'd let it go. I learned it's best not to do business with family anyway.

FromScratch Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 6:34pm
post #7 of 7

Those magnets can and will come off when you drive.. or go through a car wash (don't ask how I know.. icon_lol.gif).. hopefully that's what happened. Who the hell would want your business magnet?

And as for the aunt.. if she didn't order her wedding cake from you because she though you price gouged her husband well that's her problem.. at least you didn't have to spend time fretting over a cake that wouldn't have been truely appreciated. Maybe she just didn't want you to be stressed about it? Either way you got to relax and not make a cake you would have felt the need to discount.

Quote by @%username% on %date%