Apple Crisp Question

Decorating By adonisthegreek1 Updated 6 Oct 2008 , 6:22pm by FromScratch

adonisthegreek1 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 1:31am
post #1 of 7

Why does the apple crisp recipe say to toss my apples in 4 tsp of lemon juice? My crisp was delicious, but the Granny Smith apples were a bit more tart than I like. What if I don't toss my apples in lemon juice prior to baking?

6 replies
Deb_ Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 2:12am
post #2 of 7

This keeps them from turning brown, you can omit this if you want. I never toss them in lemon and they turn out fine.

jjkarm Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 2:17am
post #3 of 7

Tossing the apples in lemon juice helps to keep them from turning brown. If granny smith apples are too tart then you could use a different baking apple like maybe a cortland, empire, or jonagold. The granny smith holds it's shape the best of all the baking apples, but the others I mentioned will work too. thumbs_up.gif

FromScratch Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 2:49am
post #4 of 7

You can add more sugar too. I love granny smiths for making pies and crisps. Like jjkarm said they hold their shape the best out of any apple. Cortlands are a good second choice though they do get mushier. I like corts and empires for making apple sauce more than anything else. Try upping the sugar in your apple mixture and adding a tiny bit more of your binder (flour, cornstarch, tapioca, etc). I don't toss the apples in lemon either.. I do add a little lemon zest though. icon_smile.gif

jjkarm Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 3:10am
post #5 of 7

You know after thinking about it for a the past if I've wanted to keep cut fruit from turning brown for a salad, for fruit pizza or something like that, I have tossed it in a small amount of 7up or Sprite. 7up will also keep the fruit from turning brown. I've never used it when making a pie though. If you want to give it a try it couldn't hurt. This way it might keep the fruit fresh and not add the extra tang of lemon. Just a thought..... icon_wink.gif

adonisthegreek1 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 5:47pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you all so much for your help. I have tossed fresh fruit in lemon juice to keep it from turning brown. I just wasn't sure if it served another purpose when cooking the fruit. I like the Granny smith apples, so I will try omitting the lemon juice next time.

FromScratch Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 6:22pm
post #7 of 7

I find when you are cooking your apples you don't really need to worry too much about them turning brown on you.. since they are smothered in sugar and cinnamon and will be brown-ish anyway. I would see if they were on top of a tart, but not in a pie or crisp. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%