"sophisticated" Cupcake Flavors

Baking By MikkelPaige Updated 8 Oct 2008 , 6:48pm by messy_chef

MikkelPaige Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikkelPaige Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 1:00am
post #1 of 15

I'm making cupcakes for my future-sister-in-law's wedding rehearsal dinner and I wanted to make a sophisticated combination of flavors. Something a little nicer than your traditional chocolate and vanilla.

It also has to be a 4 star recipe too in terms of flavors b/c I don't have time to bake a trial batch. This is all sort of last minute and they dinner's this Friday, 10/10/08.

Thanks in advance!

14 replies
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 4:02am
post #2 of 15

hi! by sophisticated, do you also mean easy to make or takes a bit of time to prepare?

the most complicated recipe i've tried was the white chocolate sour cream cupcake with blueberry filling.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 4:27am
post #3 of 15

I don't have a recipe, but I saw a show on the Food Channel about a cupcake shop that used fruit puree to help keep the cupcakes soft and fresher longer. If I'm remembering correctly, they used, for example, puree'd raspberries instead of oil to make a raspberry cupcake.

I know my daughter uses applesauce instead of oil in her cakes to save calories.

Maybe a CC'er has a recipe like this, or if you google-search?

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 4:46am
post #4 of 15

I don't have a recipe myself. But what about champagne cupcakes.

PennieK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennieK Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 4:53am
post #5 of 15

http://cupcakeblog.com/index.php

Take a look at this. The recipes here look amazing.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 10:44am
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I don't have a recipe, but I saw a show on the Food Channel about a cupcake shop that used fruit puree to help keep the cupcakes soft and fresher longer. If I'm remembering correctly, they used, for example, puree'd raspberries instead of oil to make a raspberry cupcake.

I know my daughter uses applesauce instead of oil in her cakes to save calories.

Maybe a CC'er has a recipe like this, or if you google-search?

indydebi, this is really interesting. so oil in a recipe can be substituted with fruit? that's awesome. i wonder what kind of fruits are allowed. maybe bananas?

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 10:51am
post #7 of 15

Great link, PennieK. These cupcakes sound great (at least most of them). I'm not so sure about the wasabi ones.

MikkelPaige, did you see the chocolate stuffed with strawberry chocolate ganache? Those are beautiful and sound perfect for a wedding rehearsal although the vanilla with the vanilla sea salt also sound really good.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 1:09pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeshoppe

so oil in a recipe can be substituted with fruit? that's awesome. i wonder what kind of fruits are allowed. maybe bananas?

This link has info on using applesauce and fruit purees. icon_smile.gif

7 Professional Secrets to Baking a Great Cake:

http://www.thedabblingmum.com/recipes/kitchensecrets/cakesecrets.htm

HTH

JSuzieQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSuzieQ Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 4:41pm
post #9 of 15

I made some cupcakes for a wedding that were devils food with raspberry puree filling and either vanilla frosting or chocolate frosting with a fresh raspberry in the middle. Yummy and very pretty! icon_smile.gif

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 5:19pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeshoppe

so oil in a recipe can be substituted with fruit? that's awesome. i wonder what kind of fruits are allowed. maybe bananas?

This link has info on using applesauce and fruit purees. icon_smile.gif

7 Professional Secrets to Baking a Great Cake:

http://www.thedabblingmum.com/recipes/kitchensecrets/cakesecrets.htm

HTH

My mom subs pumpkin puree, the kind in the can, for oil or butter in chocolate cake. I guess this would work in a spic cake too but I wouldn't do it in a white or fruit flavored cake.

you can't taste the pumpkin in the choc. cake it just makes it nice and moist and much less fat.

recently I used pumpkin puree in a vegan chocolate cake to hold it together and it worked wonderfully.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 5:38pm
post #11 of 15

There is another forum talking about wedding cake flavors. You should read that forum and get some ideas.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 5:39pm
post #12 of 15

Might have been a little more helpful if I had given you the site address. icon_redface.gif

Here you go....

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6121916.html#6121916

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 5:59pm
post #13 of 15

I'd say something with alcohol in them...

I put kahlua in chocolate (people go gaa-gaa over that) sometimes. I've used rum, bailey's, chambord, frangelico, and all kinds of other liquors/alcohol.

Green tea cupcakes?

Use a curd filling. I love lemon curd in white or lemon cakes. If you do a ctirusy cake, use lots of the zest from the fruit.

Mousse fillings.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 6:35pm
post #14 of 15

Red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting is always a crowd pleaser!

messy_chef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messy_chef Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 6:48pm
post #15 of 15

A really quick one would be white or french vanilla cupcakes with raspberry filling and lemon buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%