How Different?

Decorating By beth2027 Updated 6 Oct 2008 , 1:16am by mellormom

beth2027 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 12:39am
post #1 of 4

Is working with gum paste and working with fondant? I have been working some with MMF and learning how to do things with this, but I am wondering how different is gum paste?
I have to make a bear for a cake in a couple of weeks and I don't know which I should use? And how different it would be to use gum paste.

3 replies
bettinashoe Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 12:50am
post #2 of 4

Gum paste and fondant are similar to work with but gum paste dries hard and is not really edible. I really prefer to sculpt with gum paste as fondant is temperamental when it comes to humidity or heat. I always use gum paste for my intricate flowers and figures. It is much more reliable and is like working with clay.

Tona Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 12:59am
post #3 of 4

I agree with bettinashoe. I use gumpaste when I am doing flowers and figures also.

mellormom Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 1:16am
post #4 of 4

just remember that gum-paste dries quickly so you need to keep the gum-paste you are not using under a cup and just take out a little at a time. Also to make gum-paste work better you should need a tiny bit of crisco. It makes the gum-paste more pliable.
When done with it wrap the rest in a ziplock bag with no air in it.
You can also mix gum-paste and fondant together. This gives you more time to work with it before it dries. It does take longer to dry once you have made it though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%