How Different?

Decorating By beth2027 Updated 6 Oct 2008 , 1:16am by mellormom

beth2027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beth2027 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 12:39am
post #1 of 4

Is working with gum paste and working with fondant? I have been working some with MMF and learning how to do things with this, but I am wondering how different is gum paste?
I have to make a bear for a cake in a couple of weeks and I don't know which I should use? And how different it would be to use gum paste.

3 replies
bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 12:50am
post #2 of 4

Gum paste and fondant are similar to work with but gum paste dries hard and is not really edible. I really prefer to sculpt with gum paste as fondant is temperamental when it comes to humidity or heat. I always use gum paste for my intricate flowers and figures. It is much more reliable and is like working with clay.

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 12:59am
post #3 of 4

I agree with bettinashoe. I use gumpaste when I am doing flowers and figures also.

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 1:16am
post #4 of 4

just remember that gum-paste dries quickly so you need to keep the gum-paste you are not using under a cup and just take out a little at a time. Also to make gum-paste work better you should need a tiny bit of crisco. It makes the gum-paste more pliable.
When done with it wrap the rest in a ziplock bag with no air in it.
You can also mix gum-paste and fondant together. This gives you more time to work with it before it dries. It does take longer to dry once you have made it though.
HTH
Jen...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%