Mmf And Icing Colors

Baking By Hollygb22 Updated 6 Oct 2008 , 2:07pm by linedancer

Hollygb22 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 12:29am
post #1 of 3

I'm newer to making and decorating cookies. This summer I starting making MMF and it turned out great. Every time I used it, i kept it white and decorated with colored royal icing accents.

Just wondering for those who color MMF..what's the easiest way to do it? Didn't know if there were any tricks or tips? do most wear gloves to work to color in so it doesn't get all over your hands? Is there one brand that tends to work better than another..wilton vs. americolor?

any other accents or tips to do different things with coloring mmf?

2 replies
ckdcr8r Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 6:04am
post #2 of 3

Just color it like you would any other fondant. Any paste color works fine. I do recommend gloves. Fondant will pick up any color on your hands, so you don't want to mix them. I just put a drop (or more depending on how much you are coloring) on the fondant and knead it in, then twist and pull like taffy. I have done marbling. Just work the color in a little bit and then roll out for a neat marbling effect.

linedancer Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 2:07pm
post #3 of 3

I use MMF for my cookies all the time, so I color alot of it. I use Americolor Super Red and Super Black because it doesn't take as much. Otherwise, I use Wilton or CK. I don't use gloves because I I don't like the way the fondant sticks to them. I just grease my hands, flatten out the MMF, put the color in the middle, you kind of seal the color in for the first few twists and turns, so the color goes into the MMF instead of on to your hands. I just wash my hands with good hot water and Dawn dishwashing soap when I am done. Do I sometimes have a little color on my hands, yes, but it goes away quickly. If you need alot of one color, you can put the color in after the marshmallows are melted, but before you add the confectioners sugar. It works pretty well, but I don't think you can control your color quite as well. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%