First Cupcake Cake, Need Tips

Baking By shanasweets Updated 22 Oct 2008 , 2:27am by SMcDonald

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 11:31pm
post #1 of 19

I am going to make my first cupcake cake. I am making pumpkin cupcakes, so will do a Halloween theme. It is just for practice, will take to work. But would like tips. I know I read to secure the outside cupcakes on board with a dot of icing. Any other advice, how much icing to get it smooth like a cake top. Do you just slap it on or pipe it, how bout filling in gaps between cupcakes? All the tips helpful!!

18 replies
shanasweets Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 1:47pm
post #2 of 19

Nobody has any tips?

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 2:07pm
post #3 of 19

you can line them up like bricks, (off set) so there is hardly any gaps between them, or in rows and columns and the gap will be larger. not a problem either way. you can secure the end ones if you wish. if you do off set them then the outside shape will be irregular which again is ok. then forget they are cupcakes and ice directly over the top getting it as smooth as you can with your spatula, wait for the icing to crust and smooth with a paper towel. if any of the cupcakes have doomed too high cut it off alittle before icing.

Tisha___ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tisha___ Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 3:29pm
post #4 of 19

Hey there! I'm sorry I don't have any tips for you, but I just noticed that you're in Oklahoma too! Hey neighbor!

shanasweets Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 5:43pm
post #5 of 19

Ok this was a mess. I was using cream cheese icing, that just fell between the gaps badly. I could not get it to crust even after putting in fridge. Finally mixed up some buttercream put on top to try to smooth, at least this would crust some. Still could not get it smooth. I really am not liking this at all. I tried to get the cupcakes close together, but there were still some gaps. Someone suggested putting marshmellows in the gaps. I guess you never know until you try.

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 6:02pm
post #6 of 19

Here is the thread where I show how I do cupcake cakes:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-597891.html

I would never use cream cheese icing because I always have the same probelm you do, it never crusts! As you can see in the picture, I smoosh the cupcakes together very closely. As for smoothness, use whatever method works for you when smoothing cakes.

Good luck, and I hope this helps.

shanasweets Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:24am
post #7 of 19

sorry, meant to post this sooner, but been busy. Here is my sorry attempt at my first cupcake cake.
LL

Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 11:44am
post #8 of 19

I think you did a wonderful job. How did you pipe the ghost on the outside for a border. They look great. icon_biggrin.gif

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 12:06pm
post #9 of 19

Pretty cool. As I was reading I didn't expect the pic you posted.

Mike

shanasweets Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:07pm
post #10 of 19

I have seen those ghosts here on some other cakes. I just used a tip 12 and did the bodies first, then went thru and used tip 2 and did arms and the eyes. I tried to make them go in different directions some. There are much better ones here, but it really helped change up the normal border thing.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:24pm
post #11 of 19

Sltoklahome--You did a great Job! I love the cake. Looks like it tastes yummy!

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:07pm
post #12 of 19

You did a great job ,thats very cute!!

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:57pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemawfish

I think you did a wonderful job. How did you pipe the ghost on the outside for a border. They look great. icon_biggrin.gif

DITTO DITTO DITTO! thumbs_up.gif

And thanks for posting how you did the border. It was what totally made the whole thing POP!

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 4:00pm
post #14 of 19

DITTO!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 5:23pm
post #15 of 19

OMG! sorry attempt? woman you are blind! that cake is so adorable and so colorful. i love it! I love the border too. very creative. you did an amazing job. icon_biggrin.gif

PJ37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ37 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 6:21pm
post #16 of 19

Cute cake!

calivettie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calivettie Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 6:42pm
post #17 of 19

I second, third, and fourth what everyone has said! You did an amazing job.. I would not have thought this was your first cupcake cake...

juleskaye518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleskaye518 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 6:42pm
post #18 of 19

I hope my attempt at anything is that "sorry."

SMcDonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SMcDonald Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 2:27am
post #19 of 19

That looks incredible!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%